JACKSON GOES, PEPE STAYS

Pepe Sanchez’ American Dream came true this week. The Sixers had to whittle their roster down to 15 players – 12 active and three on injured reserve — on Monday in preparation for the start

Pepe Sanchez’ American Dream came true this week.

The Sixers had to whittle their roster down to 15 players – 12 active and three on injured reserve — on Monday in preparation for the start of the season. Head coach Larry Brown kept Sanchez on the active roster, choosing to cut free agent signee Jermaine Jackson.

Everybody’s favorite Argentinean point guard impressed Brown with his work ethic and improvement.

“I don’t know if he’s ready now, but he’s gotten better every day and I want him around us as long as possible,” Brown told the Inquirer. “He’s got a lot of basketball savvy, he’s a great kid and he came from a great program. I’m happy he’s here.”

Sanchez was a starter for John Chaney and the Owls for four years, earning third-team all-American and Atlantic 10 Player of the Year honors for 1999-2000. Sanchez holds the Temple career record for steals as well.

The knock on Sanchez making a mark in the NBA was that he was too slow and that he couldn’t shoot. Apparently, Brown and the Sixers now believe his limitations are negligible.

Sanchez gave up a seven-figure European contract to pursue his dream of playing in the NBA.