Jamaican Jerk Hut serves up irie vibes and spicy dishes

The Jamaican Jerk Hut’s tasty dishes and relaxed feel renders an authentic taste of the islands.

COLIN KERRIGAN TTN Behind the Jamaican Jerk Hut’s modest exterior lies island-inspired dishes, complete with Caribbean music and an in-house artist, Irku Salmon, 62.

With a laid-back atmosphere and flavorful dishes, the Jamaican Jerk Hut is a perfect place to dine with friends or on a casual date.

Located on South Street, the Jamaican Jerk Hut offers traditional dishes, such as oxtail, rice with kidney beans, and ackee and saltfish. The most popular dishes are the spicy and flavorful jerk chicken, curry chicken and stew chicken. The restaurant also caters to non-meat eaters, offering vegetarian dishes like vegetable cocktail patties and roti, a whole-wheat flat bread stuffed with various vegetables.

University of Pennsylvania graduate student and teacher Kylah Fieod said the food is “very rich [in] flavor,” and “very authentic,” adding that it tastes just like the food she ate in Jamaica.

Keith Bridgeman, a first-time customer and Washington, D.C., resident, said he not only enjoyed the meal, but also the prices.

Dinner platters range from about $12 to $19.50, with the seafood platters – including jerk shrimp, brown stew fish and curried stuffed lobster – being more expensive.

This BYOB restaurant also offers its customers an authentic taste of Jamaica with its non-alcoholic beverages, which include Jamaican soft drinks like Ting and Jamaican Cream Soda. It also serves homemade ginger beer and island fruit punch.

In addition to its flavorful food and fun atmosphere, the Jamaican Jerk Hut also hosts special events from May to September.

On Friday and Saturday nights during that season, customers can move to the sounds of reggae, acoustic and blues music in the garden area adjacent to the restaurant. Other regular events include karaoke on Tuesdays and spoken word on Wednesdays.

Resident artist Ikru Salmon, 62, adds to the cultural experience. He offers abstract and realistic art pieces for sale Monday through Thursday.

If you’re looking for an inexpensive getaway to the islands – complete with delicious food, music and atmosphere – the Jamaican Jerk Hut may be the place for you.

Shari DaCosta can be reached at shari.dacosta@temple.edu.