Jazz Review: ORTLIEB’S JAZZHAUS

Discover one of Philly’s greatest un-kept secret nuzzled in the heart of Northern Liberties. Ortlieb’s Jazzhaus, located at 847 N. 3rd St., is a sultry, sophisticated scene for jazz neophytes and a great outing for

Discover one of Philly’s greatest un-kept secret nuzzled in the heart of Northern Liberties. Ortlieb’s Jazzhaus, located at 847 N. 3rd St., is a sultry, sophisticated scene for jazz neophytes and a great outing for any day of the week.

Customers can enjoy live jazz music for only $10, which goes directly to the artists. On Friday and Saturday nights, loyal locals flock to this neighborhood hotspot to enjoy great food and top music in a tranquil environment.

The facade of the building is not as appealing to the eye and at first glance it appears to be a hole-in-the-wall club. But, upon entrance, one may be surprised by the refined, cozy atmosphere and the dim candle light is a perfect complement to the jazz.

Black and white photographs of classic jazz musicians fill the walls, adding character to the overall ambiance. The enticing scents of various Cajun dishes fill the air.

Most of the customers, ranging from young students to older couples, dress in casual to semi-formal wear. This laid back yet lively atmosphere will make you feel right at home.

The menu is a seafood lover’s dream, complete with both spicy Cajun dishes and Southern cooking. Seafood bisque, a popular well-seasoned soup appetizer, contains chunks of crab meat and shrimp. Another favorite is the “Bayou Country fried seafood platter,” which is an entree filled with shrimp, crab cakes and calamari. For dinner, the yam fries are a must-have side order and make you want to jump up and scat alongside the musicians.

Some other popular dishes include “Byron’s
Jammin’ jambalaya” and “Sid Piano Man Simmons Blackened or Fried Catfish.” Each dish boasts generous portions that are sure to satisfy your appetite.

One of the less appealing dishes was “The Yard Bird fried chicken,” which tasted somewhat bland. Other entrees include “Mike Boone’s pan fried pork chop,” “Bootsie’s baby back ribs” and “John Swanna’s veggie delight,” all served with sides of coleslaw, sweet potatoes, vegetables or rice.

There is also a sandwich selection that consists of the traditional Philly cheesesteaks, burgers and chicken breasts, all served with fries.

The dessert menu contains several delicious
treats such as apple cobbler, fudge cake with chocolate moose, sweet potato pie and a large selection of cheesecakes.

Since the restaurant attracts a diverse crowd, its menu consists of a large variety of foods that accommodate people with different tastes and cultural backgrounds.

Drinks at the bar were moderately priced and ranged from as low as $2 to $47 depending on the type and size of the drink.

Every week the club features a wide array
of local jazz bands who perform three sets starting at 8 p.m. and ending at 12:30 a.m. on weeknights, and 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. on weekends. The Mickey Roker Quartet, Roger Prieto Quartet or the Ortlieb’s house band all accompany a variety of sax players on different nights of the week.

Ortlieb’s Jazzhaus adds an artsy element
to the neighborhood and, over the past 19 years, has become a popular spot for jazz enthusiasts. It is a wonderful place customers can come to relax after work or to enjoy an evening out.

To find out more, visit www.ortliebsjazzhaus.com or call 215-922-1035.

Keshia Baird can be reached at kbaird@temple.edu.