JoAnne Epps nominated to be provost

The Board of Trustees must approve Theobald’s decision

Dean Joanne Epps of Beasley School of Law sits in her office in Klein Hall. | KATHRYN STELLATO TTN FILE PHOTO

President Theobald announced his nomination of JoAnne Epps for the position of provost Tuesday. Epps has served as the dean of Beasley School of Law for eight years and taught at the University for 30 years.

The Board of Trustees must approve Epps’ nomination before she permanently assumes her role as provost, executive vice president and chief academic officer.

The Board’s next opportunity to make the decision will be July 12, when it will also approve a budget for the 2016-2017 fiscal year, said university spokesman Ray Betzner.

“I’m trying to think of an instance when [the Board] didn’t [approve a provost nomination], but I don’t think that’s ever happened,” he said, adding he did not know what the next steps would be if the Board declines her nomination.

Theobald made the announcement in an email to faculty early Tuesday morning, saying he was “thrilled” to make the nomination.

JoAnne has a strong grasp of Temple’s unique mission,” Theobald’s statement read. “She shares my student-centered approach and will work tirelessly to improve the academic environment for all Temple students.”

Julie Christie can be reached at julie.christie@temple.edu or on Twitter @ChristieJules.