Job hungry students turn out in force for career fair

Recent statistics from the Labor Department indicate economic growth in September, the first month since January employment figures rose. For Temple students planning to graduate this spring, or those who want to get a head

Recent statistics from the Labor Department indicate economic growth in September, the first month since January employment figures rose. For Temple students planning to graduate this spring, or those who want to get a head start on the job market, this is good news.

College students-dressed to impress -rushed to the job fair at the Liacouras Center Oct. 15. The opportunity to get started on a career was too good to keep students away.

The job market has seen a huge decline in the past two years. Signs of rebuilding, however, are encouraging to college students.

“This is an exciting time,” said Chet Rispoli, director of Temple’s Career Development Services. “Over one hundred employers came here looking to hire.”

Last week’s fair certainly prompted a different atmosphere than previous fairs. More employers and new businesses caught the eyes of eager students. Students in sharp business attire presented polished resumes in order to stand out.

Conversations between students and employers were relaxed but still conducted in a business manner. Employers took this opportunity to see how students could fit into their business.

Accounting and Engineering were just two of the many fields employers were looking for students to fill entry-level positions. Surprisingly, experience wasn’t required for all jobs, but a college degree was strongly recommended.

The sudden rise in job availability was just a little difficult to believe at first. “The jobs are definitely out there,” a Fleet Bank employee said. “It’s just a matter of students going out to get them.”

The possibility of a career fresh out of school kept Temple Students on the hunt.

Seniors weren’t the only students to attend the fair. Some of Temple’s newest alumni were in attendance after a summer of looking for work and underclassmen also were scoping out future employment opportunities.

Most businesses offered some type of internship or part time job for students not graduating this year.

“It’s never to early to look,” said a sophomore student. “If I start looking now, it can only help improve my chances of getting a job when I graduate.”

Students can hopefully continue to look forward to promising employment opportunities. If this sudden rise in the job market continues to grow, they can all look forward to better chances developing their careers.

Michael Abdul-Qawi can be reached at maq316@temple.edu.