Junior receives top honor

As Tom Dolan’s earned run average has sunk, his notoriety has risen.The junior right-hander was named a National Player of the Week by “College Baseball” Monday, the most prestigious award Dolan has garnered this season.

As Tom Dolan’s earned run average has sunk, his notoriety has risen.The junior right-hander was named a National
Player of the Week by “College Baseball” Monday, the most prestigious award Dolan has garnered this season. Dolan struck out a personal-best 16 batters in eight innings during the Owls’ win Sunday.

He allowed just one earned run – on a solo home run – and three hits as he improved his record to 4-2.

“I had a lot of movement on my fastball,” Dolan said. “I really only threw two changeups, so it was mostly fastball-slider all day.”

The performance was just the latest in a series of strong outings for Dolan. The Archbishop Ryan High product has pitched eight innings in each of his last four starts. He has surrendered just four earned runs in his last 36 innings.

Dolan’s 1.80 ERA ranks second in the Atlantic Ten Conference. His 16 strikeouts were the most in the A-10 this season.While Dolan has provided the pitching, Matt Heltz has sparked the offense.

The shortstop hit .500 in four games last week. He scored two runs and drove in two more to earn A-10 Rookie of the Week honors.