Just ask L.C.:

Dear L.C., Is there anything to do during the weekends if you’re not a party person? Parties kind of get boring after a while, and I need alternatives. -Mike Dear Mike, I totally understand the

Dear L.C.,
Is there anything to do during the weekends if you’re not a party person? Parties kind of get boring after a while, and I need alternatives. -Mike

Dear Mike,

I totally understand the loss of party drive. There are only so many times a person can walk home twenty minutes in the wrong direction, not to mention the blaring, oversexed, impersonal atmosphere of college parties can wear on ones enthusiasm. But you’re in luck. There are tons of things to do if you’re not a party person.

You probably know the basics. Coffee houses, diners, and movies can all provide a nice relief from the party setting. Getting together with your friends and actually having a nice discussion that doesn’t require screaming over bad music is always a welcomed change of pace. Coffee houses often provide some sort of live music as well.

Next, grab a copy of the City Paper. Aside from the hours of fun you can receive reading the personal ads and notices, there are lists of just about everything going on in the city through out the week. Check out at cheap play at a small theatre or high school. Amateur shows and Open Mic nights can provide some excellent music, or at least something to laugh at. Art exhibits and galleries are everywhere and usually don’t cost a lot. There are tons of options and plenty of ways to make a night of it.

There’s also the option of just roaming around the city with your friends. Keep to the more populated areas, and check out the shops and cafés. You could find your new favorite place, or you could just tire yourself out from walking, but either way, you’ll get more acquainted with the city.

If you still run out of things to do, or you’re confined to campus and then run around and check out the bulletin boards and the Student Center. There is always some sort of event advertised. Even if you really don’t care about the Save the Trees rally the Environmental Club is holding, you can at least check out the girls, eat the free food and possibly meet some cool people.

If you can get your friends together and motivated to move from the futon, your possibilities are endless. Go out and rent the worst movies you can find (I highly recommend a Troma film) and have your gang over to watch. Bad movies make for excellent conversation and overall good times.

If you’re feeling a little nuts, go to the local food or retail store and start filling a shopping cart with every bizarre item you can find (make sure it’s a non-perishable). Think dog leashes, motor oil, dollar panties. Then leave it there for some poor employee to put away and wonder about.

Or, if you’re too nice for that sort of thing, buy a bunch of microwavable food and have everyone cook something up and bring it to your place where you can all share your ramen and Swanson favorites.

These are just a few suggestions. There is no limit to what can be done on a partyless night. Spontaneity and creativity make for times that no party can compete with, especially if you’ve got some friends along with you. Do not let yourself get sucked into the TV or the internet on the weekends. Secure at least one person to go out adventuring with and then do it. Who knows, even your partying friends might find they have a better time without the beer goggles.

L.C. can be reached at justasktu@hotmail.com.