Kind Einstein Bros. employees won’t last here

The food service employees in the Student Center’s Valaida S. Walker Dining Court do not have pleasant attitudes at all, a phenomenon that has found its way into the commentary pages of The Temple News

picture-20.pngThe food service employees in the Student Center’s Valaida S. Walker Dining Court do not have pleasant attitudes at all, a phenomenon that has found its way into the commentary pages of The Temple News before.

However, the customer service at Einstein Bros. Bagels, which replaced Taco Bell this semester, as reported by The Temple News [“Einstein Bros. Bagels will replace former Taco Bell,” Erin Pollock, Jan. 22, 2008], has been exceptional.

The employees are pleasant, and they greet customers before they take their orders, which is a huge difference from the impatient, ticked-off, mad-at-the-world attitudes that the other workers in the Student Center generally have.

They also work together in an assembly line to get the orders done quickly.

Shante Carroll, an employee at Einstein Bros. Bagels, said she believes a person’s attitude is important when working in food service. Even when a customer is impolite and rude she doesn’t lose her cool, Carroll said.

“I just tell them to talk to my manager,” Carroll said.

Because of the contrast with the average employee, Einstein Bros. has gotten a lot of attention.

Yes, our Einstein Bros. employees have been kind, but it won’t last.

These nice, polite, bubbly attitudes will be gone soon enough. It is still early. The business is fairly new in the Student Center, so it will only be a matter of time before these perky workers get sick of half-asleep college students who are not ready to order.

All the expected positive changes that seem to come are short-lived in the Student Center. From the touch screen monitors for ordering to new meal options, like Einstein Bros. and Dos Manos before it, the good times end quickly.

Give this place a good two weeks or so, and the workers will be looking at the customers with the same ‘hurry up and order’ glare that the rest of the Student Center employees embody.

Lana Adams can be reached at lana.adams@temple.edu.