LaRoche, Britton highlight Day 1 of Relays

Kristen LaRoche won a long jump gold medal and Margo Britton won silver at shot put.

Kiersten LaRoche snagged her first career Penn Relays gold medal in the 119th annual event at the University of Pennsylvania’s Franklin Field Thursday.

The junior won the long jump title with a career-high leap of 5.96 meters in Temple’s lone victory in the first two slates of its three-day competition in the meet.

Sophomore Margo Britton repeated as shot put runner-up after a toss of 48 feet, 7 inches yielded her second consecutive silver in as many Temple Penn Relays appearances.

The women’s distance medley relay consisting of junior Anna Pavone (3:36.9), junior Tessa West (58.91), senior Tonney Smith (2:11.32) and Jenna Dubrow (4:59.93) took seventh with a clip of 11:47.08.

The team’s first competitor in the 400-meter hurdles championship at 10 a.m., senior Jade Wilson placed 20th overall with 1:01.15.

The women competed in two events Friday, as Jamila Janneh placed 22nd out of 28 in the triple jump with a mark of 36-11.75.

Senior Crystal Hercules, senior Isatta Kenneh, junior Gennie Depass and freshman Demeshia Davis ran a 1:39.71 in the 4×200 meter relay for a 27th-place finish to wrap-up Penn Relays competition.

The Owls will begin championship season next weekend at the University of North Carolina-Charlotte campus next Friday in the two-day Atlantic 10 Conference championship, the Owls’ final run as conference members in light of a conference move to the American Athletic Conference in the fall.

Andrew Parent can be reached at andrew.parent@temple.edu or on twitter @daParent93.