Layoff ends Saturday

By the time Atlantic Ten Conference play begins, the men’s soccer team will have had plenty of time to prepare. When the Owls play a home game against city-rival La Salle Saturday, Nine days will

By the time Atlantic Ten Conference play begins, the men’s soccer team will have had plenty of time to prepare.

When the Owls play a home game against city-rival La Salle Saturday, Nine days will have passed since their latest game, a 2-0 win against Philadelphia University on Sept. 26.

Last season, the Owls lost the only game they played against La Salle, 3-0.

But the Owls, at 3-4-1, already have more wins than all of last year, when they finished 2-14-1, going 1-9 in A-10 play.

The Owls are looking to find their early-season form; they started the season 2-1-1 and scored five of their eight goals during that stretch.

Sophomore J.T. Noone leads the Owls’ offense. The forward has three assists to top the team. He and senior forward Mike Minai are tied for the lead in shots, each with 15.

Noone is also one of only two Owls to start and play in all eight games this season, the other being midfielder Jared Harris, a freshman.

The Owls will battle some of this season’s hottest teams midway through their A-10 schedule. Dayton, at 5-1-2, and Charlotte, at 5-3-1, play the Owls on Oct. 28 and Nov. 2, respectively. Both games are on the road.

Dayton is headed by sophomore midfielder Alex Torda. Torda has eight points this season with three goals and two assists.

Charlotte’s junior forward Chris Salvaggione has played and started in all eight games this season, leading the 49ers with 11 points on three goals and five assists. The Niners average the second-highest goals per game in the A-10, at 1.71 per game.

The Owls also play reigning A-10 champion Saint Louis on the road. With six points to his name, Dado Hamzagic heads up the Billikens, who are 4-1-2 on the season.

Sophomore forward Andy Stadler from George Washington leads the high-powered Colonials’ offense. The Colonials top the A-10 in goals per game, averaging 2.17. Stadler, the A-10’s leader in goals, has 12 points complied with five goals and two assists in six games played this season.

Duquesne, another team looking to gain some ground when A-10 play begins, is 2-4-3. But the team depends on the play of senior midfielder Travis MacKenzie. MacKenzie has seven points on the season, coming on two goals and three assists.

Todd Miller can be reached at todd.miller@temple.edu.