Leadership Banquet Recognizes the Achievements of Temple Ambler Students

AMBLER – Ambler students were recently honored at the 17th-annual Student Leadership Awards banquet. The Friday night event to honor students who have shown leadership at Ambler Campus was held at the Doubletree Hotel in

AMBLER – Ambler students were recently honored at the 17th-annual Student Leadership Awards banquet.
The Friday night event to honor students who have shown leadership at Ambler Campus was held at the Doubletree Hotel in Plymouth Meeting.
The event began with the singing of Temple’s alma mater, led by Student Government Association President Staisha Stephens-Brown.
Dr. Wanda Lewis-Campbell, assistant dean of Student Life, made comments about the year in review. She said there were several people in attendance as Temple staff that had previously attended the banquet as student leaders.
She said that because of the close-knit nature of the Ambler community, students want to come back to work for the university at the Ambler Campus.
Rachel Berger is a former student leader who now works for the university as a marketing coordinator.
“It is a nice time to get students together to recognize students for what they do all year,” Berger said. “Whether or not they win an award, they see Temple recognizes their hard work.”
Student and book scholarship award winner Brittany Jacobs said she was appreciative of being recognized at the leadership banquet.
“Dr. Wanda and the Office of Student Life outdid themselves in showing appreciation for the student leaders of Ambler,” Jacobs said.
Among the organizations recognized was the Ambler Accounting Professional Society. The volunteer income tax assistance program offered free tax preparation assistance to low- to moderate-income families. This year, the program assisted 95 people with their taxes.
A highlight of the night was when Veta Channel, from the Office of Student Life, was recognized for her service to Temple. Channel will be retiring after working at the university for more than 38-and-a-half years, and received a standing ovation for her many years of service.
Given out were the Russel Conwell Award, the Who’s Who Among College Students Award, the Dean’s Leadership Award and the Student Organization of the Year award.
The Student Organization of the Year award was presented to Sigma Chi Delta sorority.
“We feel like we do a lot, attending events of other organizations, as well as our own planning events for students and volunteering in the community,” Sigma Chi Delta Vice President Carly Sokoloff.
This year, the Student Leader of the Year award was given to Ryan Gillon and Sarada Jailal, both seniors, for their involvement and leadership in many of the campus organizations and events.
“It felt great walking away with the award,” Jailal said. “I was very happy to share it with Ryan. I hope to set an example for students to feel that their involvement can make a difference on campus.”
[Jailal is a staff writer for The Temple News] For freshman and Ambler College Republicans President Joe Gale, the leadership banquet served as inspiration to take a more active role on campus.
“It was nice to see what awards my classmates and fellow ambassadors got,” Gale said. “It makes me want to get more involved.”
Victoria Oravec can be reached at victoria.oravec@temple.edu.