Letter to the Editor

I am writing because I was disgusted after reading Nicole D’Andrea’s article about affirmative action, not because it was pro-affirmative action, but because it was full of rhetoric and propaganda. Ms. D’Andrea wrote that even

I am writing because I was disgusted after reading Nicole D’Andrea’s article about affirmative action, not because it was pro-affirmative action, but because it was full of rhetoric and propaganda.

Ms. D’Andrea wrote that even with affirmative action in place, the white to minority ratio at the University of Michigan was “surprisingly low” at 74 percent white and 26 percent minority.

This ratio is far from surprising considering the fact that in 2000, US population consisted of 77 percent white and 23 percent minority, while the state of Michigan consisted of 80 percent white and 20 percent minority.

She continues, “If affirmative action is banned, students like Gratz and Gutter will never know the advantage of sitting in a classroom among faces of every color.”

The truth of the matter is if affirmative action remains in place, students like Gratz and Gutter will never experience a diverse classroom because they were denied admission because of affirmative action.

The most absurd point in her argument was her statement, “If affirmative action was truly an idea of yesterday, would there be so much debate surrounding it today?”

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous defense of affirmative action I have ever heard.

Just because a current policy or idea is highly debated does not mean that it is right.

You may recall the issue of slavery, which was so strongly debated that we went to war with ourselves over it.

Does that mean that, at the time, slavery was not a thing of the past and therefore, we should have allowed it to continue?

I can only imagine the amount of protests and the large civil unrest that would erupt if Michigan gave whites the preferential treatment that minorities are currently receiving.

People seem to forget that racism is a two-way street.

Scott Chambley
Accounting