Letter to the Editor

In response to the article on student registration being down, [“Re-registration still a problem for student organizations,” Oct. 4] Student Activities Program Coordinator Arnold Boyd blames the victim. In reality, it is Mr. Boyd’s fault

In response to the article on student registration being down, [“Re-registration still a problem for student organizations,” Oct. 4] Student Activities Program Coordinator Arnold Boyd blames the victim. In reality, it is Mr. Boyd’s fault for making the requirements to be a student group unnecessarily high.

A group needs to have four students appear before him (something next to impossible to accomplish with Temple students’ incredibly busy schedules), and then you must be a student group for a semester before you can get any money. In cases where your organization is linked with an outside organization, the evaluation process can take up to a year.

Mr. Boyd and Student Activities’ policies only lead to many unregistered student groups that want nothing to do with Temple bureaucracy.

It is reasons like this that Temple Student Government nor Temple’s listing of student groups neither represents Temple students or helps to encourage a vibrant democratic atmosphere at Temple University, since the right to associate is a founding principle of a democratic society.

-James Robinson, Senior,

History and American Studies