Letter to the Editor

I was very glad to see the March 15 article “Temple security officers attempt to organize union.” It’s true we are organizing with the help of [Service Employees International Union] because security jobs ought to

I was very glad to see the March 15 article “Temple security officers attempt to organize union.” It’s true we are organizing with the help of [Service Employees International Union] because security jobs ought to be good jobs that pay decent wages and provide affordable health insurance.
I wanted to laugh when I saw what Allied managers said about our health insurance and training.
Allied claimed officers have the same benefits as the president of the company. On my salary, I can’t afford the health care plan Allied offers. It would cost me almost $160 a month, and I only make $8.90 an hour. I know co-workers who paid for the insurance and then got stuck with big bills because it hardly covers anything anyway. Does that happen to the president of the company?
Also, Allied says they give us great training – but we just sit through some videos. I think the students (and we) deserve better.
This campus has great students and I want to keep them safe. We take care of each other. I know students want us to have better conditions and to be paid like this job is important.
We are glad to have the support of so many students and hope that Temple starts listening and helps us get what we need from Allied.
Cora Jackson Taylor
AlliedBarton Security Officer
Temple Towers