Letter to the Editor – “Crime of the Week” Reports

I will admit that I have found a couple of your past “Crime of the Week” reports humorous. However, upon further thought, I have come to the conclusion that these reports should not be considered

I will admit that I have found a couple of your past “Crime of the Week” reports humorous. However, upon further thought, I have come to the conclusion that these reports should not be considered funny or entertaining. Capitalizing on the transgressions, misfortunes, and delinquencies of fellow students merely to entertain the student body is, frankly put, pathetic. I would hate to think that reading about the victimization of fellow students gratifies the writers of Temple News. This journalism is not entertainment, has no redeeming value, and lacks decency. I understand that your mission is to inform and entertain the study body, however there are many alternative ways to accomplish this goal. There are a multitude of positive, non-violent activities and events on campus that Temple News could cover.
Temple News must also consider the influence the paper has on visitors, potential students and the image of Temple University. Temple is already located in an environment perceived by strangers as “unsafe”. I can only assume that reports such as these perpetuate the stigma that is too often associated with this great university and the surrounding neighborhood. I have one final question to pose. If you were a victim of a crime on campus, violent or non-violent, would you take pleasure in having your misfortune listed as “Crime of the Week” in next week’s edition of Temple News? For the most part, Temple News engages in responsible reporting, however I urge students to be quick to react when it does not.

Matthew Mason
Business
mmason02@temple.edu
(215)777-4208