Letters to the Editor

Healthier Pickins In response to Natalie’s Slim Pickins article [“Slim Pickins: Choosing an exercise plan that works,” Feb. 7], I want to thank her for writing a piece on exercise and nutrition as this is

Healthier Pickins

In response to Natalie’s Slim Pickins article [“Slim Pickins: Choosing an exercise plan that works,” Feb. 7], I want to thank her for writing a piece on exercise and nutrition as this is a topic that comes up frequently on and off the campuses of Temple University.

While acknowledging the sarcastic and humorous intent of the article, I feel that it is important to remind students that the issues parodied may lead to severe health consequences.

Fad diets, anorexia, bulimia, diuretics, overconsumption of coffee, and smoking cigarettes, while attempted by some, have proven to be ineffective and dangerous ways to try to manage one’s weight. With a plethora of mixed health messages in the media being delivered by non-health professionals, it is easy to become confused and vulnerable to misinformation.

The Temple Health Empowerment Office works to provide accurate and comprehensive wellness education, resources, and prevention services in order to help students make healthier choices and achieve academic success.

THEO is a trusted and beneficial resource offering health promotion services including individual and group education sessions on nutrition, exercise, stress, time management and other health-related topics.

To learn more about THEO and health education, please visit our Web site at www.temple.edu/theo. To schedule an appointment, contact THEO at (215) 204-THEO or e-mail us at theo@temple.edu.

-Tiffany Gallagher

Master of Science

Temple Health Empowerment Office