Students should pursue unique experiences

Those who experience life achieve real success I am the mother of a third-year Temple student, so I have access to The Temple News. I was impressed with the article written by Christopher Wink [“Plumbing

Those who experience life achieve real success

I am the mother of a third-year Temple student, so I have access to The Temple News. I was impressed with the article written by Christopher Wink [“Plumbing for an education in an unlikely place,” Jan. 19] regarding working at jobs not related to his chosen career.

I’ve always felt that the happiest people are those who are well-rounded, experience many different people, places and things in life, give of themselves in service to others, and live life to the fullest in a good, moral way. That’s why it was refreshing to read Christopher’s article. He shouldn’t worry about what others say to him about his job choices during his breaks from school. He’s not being irresponsible.

In fact, he probably has attained more knowledge and wisdom than many of his peers, and is more fulfilled than most of them. “Life experiences” outside of the academic environment add to the “bookknowledge” he gets at Temple, and are an asset in better preparing him for his career and future. Too many college students are so obsessed with getting the highest grades, the most internships, the best “titles” before or after their names, are in constant competition, and are so caught up in their own little worlds, that they lose sight of what’s really important in life.

Yes, it’s important to be well-educated, get a good job and have financial stability, but those things are not the real measure of success. True happiness and fulfillment comes from being a caring, well-rounded individual who gives of himself, enjoys the simple things in life, and realizes that the world doesn’t revolve around them and their careers.

I just hope that many students have read Christopher’s article, learn a lesson from it, and really “experience” life and the many wonderful people around them.

Only then will they have achieved real success.

-Arlene Murphy, Philadelphia