Letters to the Editor

Liberal media a fallacy I was very amused to read the Zieger opinion piece about “conservative youth” battling the liberal media. For one the fact that there is a dedicated think-tank that provides thousands of

Liberal media a fallacy

I was very amused to read the Zieger opinion piece about “conservative youth” battling the liberal media. For one the fact that there is a dedicated think-tank that provides thousands of dollars of seed money to conservative newspapers (this “Collegiate Network”) indicates that struggle conservatives have waged has moved on to the last media holdout against their indoctrination. Conservatives own the radio and television and now they are going after the print media with a well- financed network supported by decidedly older donors. Furthermore the idea of liberal bias in the print media is a fallacy, as the mea culpas issued by The New York Times and The Washington Post clearly indicate. If anything, our news media have become uncritical mouthpieces, reciting to us what the conservative president recites to them. Clinton’s sexual affairs bore more scrutiny than do President Bush’s military and business affairs. Conservative complaints are a political strategy, not a call to something higher.

-Joe Soler, Ph.D. candidate.

Voting Plan for Undecided Youth

When one enthusiastic supporter shouted, “Every thinking man will vote for you,” Adlai Stevenson responded, “That’s not enough, I need a majority!” If you vote with your head, read no further, go right to the voting booth. If you vote with your gut, do the following: If you feel queasy, go ahead and vote, you’ll make the right decision. If you don’t feel queasy, think about whether the current administration is uniting or dividing us as we face today’s critical issues. Continue using your head until queasy, then vote.

-John Nosek, Computer & Information Sciences.