Library offers more than books

Do you want to do something both inexpensive and cultured this semester? If so, the Philadelphia Free Public Library offers a number of lectures during the fall featuring prominent authors. Some of the lectures are

Do you want to do something both inexpensive and cultured this semester?

If so, the Philadelphia Free Public Library offers a number of lectures during the fall featuring prominent authors. Some of the lectures are free while others require tickets.

Among the more famous authors coming this fall are John Updike (Oct. 21, ticket required), Amy Tan (Oct. 28, ticket required), Joyce Carol Oates (Nov. 3, free) and Toni Morrison (Nov. 12, ticket required).

The events often involve a reading from the author’s latest book, a question and answer session with the author and a book signing. These activities offer rare opportunities to gain insight into the authors’ minds.

So far this season, Paul Auster (City of Glass, The Book of Illusions, etc.), Jeffrey Eugenides (Middlesex, The Virgin Suicides) and others have given lectures. They discussed the their feelings about writing and how the their creative processes work.

An entire list of events and times is available on the library’s Web site: www.library.phila.gov.

Tickets cost $8 for students and $12 for adults. In the event of a sell-out, simulcast tickets are available for $6. They can be purchased through UpStages by calling (215) 569-9700.

Dan Kristie can be reached at danielk@temple.edu