Library to award research prize

After receiving 60 applicants in its first year, the Library Award Committee has decided to grant up to three scholarships again this year. The scholarships are available to anyone who submits a research project to

After receiving 60 applicants in its first year, the Library Award Committee has decided to grant up to three scholarships again this year.

The scholarships are available to anyone who submits a research project to the Library Award Committee. Last year’s winners each submitted papers, covering topics such as flower gardening, Lockean copyright and fair use, as well as reasoning and decision making.

Even though last year’s winners all submitted papers, the projects can be in any form, as long as there is evidence of library research. Past projects submitted also include musical scores and original pieces of art.

Head of the Science and Engineering Library, and Chair of the Prize Committee, Gretchen Sneff, first heard of this type of scholarship when she learned that the University of California at Berkley was awarding their students for research.

“I decided that it would be a good idea to award students at Temple as well, to highlight and honor the best research done by Temple students,” Sneff said.

According to Sneff, an award like this applauds work that students have done and promotes research, which she said she believes is a skill that is important to have in life-long learning.

The Prize Committee, which consists of three faculty members from a variety of departments and four Temple librarians, will select up to three projects to award $1,000 for their research.

The projects submitted have to be projects that required the use of research techniques and have been completed for class.

Research done independent of a class will not be considered. Projects from summer 2005, fall 2005 and spring 2006 can all be considered for scholarships.

Submissions must be submitted by April 7, 2006, and must be accompanied by a letter of support from a professor, as well as an essay. The essay must explain what steps were taken to complete research for the project, as well as reflect on the resources used.

“Perhaps the most important part of the submission requirements, due to the fact that the scholarship is meant to award research techniques, … [is that] the essay should explain exactly what techniques were used,” Sneff said.

There will be an information session on Monday, March 27, from noon to 1 p.m. in Paley Library Room 130. Prize Committee members will be on hand to answer any questions about submission requirements and awards. There is also more information on the award’s Web site, located at https://library.temple.edu/prize.

Lauren Hard can be reached at lauren.hard@temple.edu.