Meet the ten Temple faces you don’t know, but should

There are 34,000 students, 4,000 staff and administrators, and 1,600 faculty members at Temple. The university has a diverse pool of talent who are widely unknown – at least to many people in the Temple

There are 34,000 students, 4,000 staff and administrators, and 1,600 faculty members at Temple. The university has a diverse pool of talent who are widely unknown – at least to many people in the Temple community. The Temple News has compiled a list of 10 people who are most worth recognizing. These most recognizable people are found in less than recognizable places. Holed up in small offices, their regional, national and international presences seem hardly on display. Yet, most said Temple’s academic freedom keeps them here.

When compiling the list, some people were just too obvious, like President Adamany or Bill Cosby, while others, such as John Chaney or Dawn Staley, were just too well known. These are the faces that aren’t as recognized as their accomplishments merit. Read on, you may just be surprised at what you learn.

Click here function openSlideShow2049(){window.open(slideshowpath + 2049,’selectUser’,config=’scrollbars=No,resizable=Yes’);}Ten Faces to see photos of Temple’s ten faces.

1 Dr. Antonio Giordano, co-director of Temple’s Center of Biotechnology

In an accent reminiscent of a youth in Naples, “I’m either from Italy or South Philly – you guess,” Giordano said. One of his most published accomplishments, among many others at Temple, was Giordano’s discovery of Rb2/p130, a tumor-suppressing gene that is an early identifier of cancer. At 43, he has published more than 240 papers, trained more than 150 scientists and been awarded 10 patents, with six more pending. He currently directs 25 post doctorate and graduate students, the Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research, which he founded, and the Journal of Physiology, of which he is editor. Giordano reviews grants for the American Cancer Society, evaluates research programs for the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is on the review board of seven other scientific journals.

2 Dr. Molefi Asante, professor, African American Studies Department

With more than 60 books and 300 articles to his name, Asante is one of the world’s most published contemporary scholars. Born one of 16 children in Valdosta, Ga., he was recognized by Black Issues in Higher Education as one of the most influential leaders in the last 15 years and named one of the “100 Leading Thinkers in America” by the Utne Reader. At Temple, Asante was integral in establishing the world’s first African American Ph.D. program, has directed more than 125 dissertations and founded the theory of Afrocentricity. The African Union cited him as one of the 12 top scholars of African descent. He was also honored as a traditional king in Akyem, Ghana, in 1995.

3 Dr. John Daly, dean of Temple University School of Medicine

Since taking over Temple’s once struggling school of medicine in Nov. 2002, Daly’s goal has been to “rejuvenate the medical school back to what it once was.” The school’s annual revenue has gone from $191 million in 2002 to $233 million in 2005, and he has hired 250 new faculty. Daly is overseeing the new 14-story, $150 million medical building to be completed in 2010 and plans to make Temple’s medical program one of the country’s 40 best. Before coming to Temple, Daly worked at Sloan Kettering Hospital, then became the chief of surgical oncology at the University of Pennsylvania and then the chief of surgery at Cornell University.

4 Dr. Arvind Phatak, executive director of Institute of Global Management Studies

A professor at Temple since 1966, Phatak was one of the first recipients of Temple’s Great Teacher Award and has also won the Distinguished Faculty Award and MBA Professor of the Year Award. Phatak established Temple’s International Business Program, earned one of only 30 Center for International Business, Education and Research Grants in the country, valued at $1.2 million over four years. Phatak started two Temple programs in his native India and has written six books. “For foreign born students in America, failure is not an option,” Phatak said.

5 William Bergman, vice president of Operations

As one of Temple’s most active administrators, Bergman heads Campus Safety, Facilities Management, Environmental Health and Safety, and Community Relations. Bergman completed his masters at night while working as a Philadelphia police officer before being promoted to the Department of Police Commissioner and then to assistant superintendent for safety for Philadelphia public schools. He helped coordinate Project Brotherly Love for Hurricane Katrina victims and the Philadelphia AIDS ride, and serves on community councils and a school planning group for the neighborhoods near Temple.

6 Dr. Kariamu Welsh, professor, Boyer School of Music and Dance

An expert of African dance, Welsh created her own technique – Umfundalai – which is taught throughout the world. She founded the since disbanded National Dance Company of Zimbabwe in 1981 and has won three Fulbright awards. Currently a senior Fulbright specialist, Welsh has supervised more than 35 dissertations and remains active in choreography and lecturing internationally.

7 Dr. Samuel Hodge Jr., chair of Legal Studies Department

There aren’t many professors as accomplished as Hodge who teach introductory courses with more than 500 undergraduates. Perhaps one of the country’s most creative professors, he was one of the first recipients of Temple’s Great Teacher Award and has had his unusual multimedia teaching techniques covered by the New York Times. It’s not all games with Hodge, though. The Temple Law graduate has published more than 85 articles and three books.

8 Terell Stafford, director of Temple’s Jazz Studies

Time is precious to Stafford, who said, “I just can’t sleep.” As a popular guest conductor, internationally beloved trumpeter and with five jazz albums completed, Stafford has no time for rest. He’s toured Spain, Denmark and Sweden and is a regular at the Village Vanguard in New York City. At 39, he is considered one of the best jazz musicians in the world and one of the best teachers at Temple. But Stafford isn’t satisfied. “I still want to become a better teacher and a better musician,” he said.

9 Capt. Eileen Bradley, Campus Safety Services

From being the first woman on the Temple police force to becoming captain in 2004, Bradley’s 34-year career has been community based, to say the least. She has taken an active role in local Special Olympic events and is on the board of directors of the Variety Club, an international children’s charity. Bradley has helped to organize annual holiday parties and summer equestrian camps for local children, which gain popularity each year.

10 Jason Riley, assistant director of Community Relations, Temple Volunteers

Riley, 25, is the youngest person on this list. He is a 2003 graduate of St. Joseph’s University, where he earned the school’s first and only full community service scholarship. While taking graduate courses here, he oversees the Temple University Community Service Association, the Residential Organization for Community Service and the Temple Chapter of Habitat for Humanity. Fluent in Spanish, Riley has taught the language, volunteered for a year in Puerto Rico and studied abroad in El Salvador. Riley began the Project Mexico community service trip. Student community service hours went up 69 percent in his first year here.

Worth Noting

Alvin T. Greenspan, professor emeritus of Engineering

Pledged $1 million to the College of Engineering, consulted for direction of the engineering program, and facilitates Alumni Association meetings

Dr. Ruth Ost, director of Honors Program

Involved with honors for more than a decade, she has overseen a growth in the program’s size with 384 incoming freshmen honors students this fall semester.

Students: the next generation of Temple faces

Josh Meyer, senior, environmental studies and chemistry

Started urban sustainability course, co-founded Students for Environmental Action, twice won Morris K. Udall National Scholarship and was profiled by the Chronicle of Higher Education for his work in an impoverished suburb of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Robert Reyes, senior, English and secondary education

Co-founder of Temple’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity and president of the organization for its first two years. He interned with Habitat in Harlem last summer and co-led Habitat trips to New Mexico and Tallahassee, Fla. Reyes was previously a tutor with Temple Tutors and Project Shine, and he is currently a resident assistant in 1300 residence hall.

Rachel Gallo, junior, public health

President of Temple University Community Service Association, built schools in Mexico, worked with Habitat for Humanity in Florida, participated in world AIDS conference in Thailand.

Oscar Chow, senior, political science

Born in Nicaragua, student government president, vice president of both Brothers and Sisters in Christ and of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Pi Rho Chapter, former White Hall resident assistant.

Raysean Hogan, junior, accounting and risk management

Born in Pasadena, Calif., president of Main Campus Program Board, involved in four to six campus wide programs monthly, member, Sigma Iota Gamma.

Just for fun: names that all Temple students need to know

Bernard James

“Welcome to Bernard’s!” The cafeteria’s most famous resident.

Peter Beers

Johnson and Hardwick Cafeteria manager and responder to all comment cards.

Mardy Collins

No. 25 is a potential all-American. His NBA ability is no secret to Owls faithful.

Candice Dupree

Another preseason all-American, and tri-captain of the preseason No. 21-ranked women’s basketball team.

Officer Michael McShane

Everyone has seen this Temple officer in his golf cart-sized patrol vehicle.

Rob “Earthworm” Szostak

Temple’s very own dancing ladies man and Facebook king.

Richie Jr.

Owner, Richie’s Deli on the 12th Street Food Pad.

Chris Wink and Josh Chamberlain can be reached at templenews@GMail.com.