Listings: Homecoming, Noir, National Coming Out Week, Race in the Race

Homecoming 2012: Pep Rally and BBQ, Homecoming 2012: Alumni “Tailgate Row” Party, Noir: An American Genre, Temple’s National Coming Out Week Launch Party, Race in the Race 2012

Homecoming 2012: Pep Rally and BBQ  / Liacouras Walk / Oct. 5 / 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. / Free

The Temple Made campaign has taken Main Campus and Philadelphia by storm. It is bringing pride to Temple and the university is pushing for more. The Office of Alumni Relations is throwing a pep rally on Liacouras Walk on Oct. 5 for students, faculty and alumni to celebrate the Owls’ first homecoming after joining the Big East. Free food will be provided along with games and music as well as a chance to meet Temple’s acting president, Richard Englert.

Homecoming 2012: Alumni “Tailgate Row” Party / Lot K, Lincoln Financial Field / Oct. 6 / 10 a.m.

Temple pride will flourish at Temple’s homecoming game against the University of South Florida. The Temple University Alumni Association will be starting the party with a tailgate at Lincoln Financial Field.  There will be free food, face painting and more music to get students, faculty, and alumni prepared for the big game.

Noir-An American Genre: A Conversation with Lou Boxer, Chris Cagle and Robert Polito / Paley Library, 1210 Polett Walk / Oct. 8 / Noon – 1:30 p.m. / Free

Noir is more than a color, it is apart of American history and culture. Noir is the darkness we all seek, the danger we crave and on Oct. 8 in Paley Library famous noir author David Goodis along with Lou Boxer, founder of Philadelphia’s NoirCon, and Chris Cagle, assistant professor of film and media arts at Temple will discuss the importance noir is to literature and its influence on Hollywood cinema.

Temple’s National Coming Out Week Launch Party / Temple Performing Arts Center / Oct. 8 / 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.

National Coming Out Week is internationally observed and a way for individuals to celebrate their sexual orientation and promote social acceptance and tolerance. Philadelphia’s LGBT community is large and prideful, providing events including a parade for everyone to enjoy. Temple’s National Coming Out Week committee is tipping off the festivities  that will take over the city this month  with its own celebration on Oct. 8. The fun is not restricted so this is a great way to have a good time and support many in the process.

Race in the Race 2012 / Annenberg Hall, TV Studio 1 / Oct. 9/ 7 p.m. – 8 p.m. / Free

There is no doubt the power and influence the 2012  Presidential Election has on the country. With politics comes speculation and new theories about how the political system in a democratic society functions. The Academic Center of Research in Diversity is hosting a student leadership panel to discuss race and diversity in the 2012 presidential race. The event will be held in a Town Hall forum and will allow participants to discuss the issue of race in today’s political world.