Listings: TU Touchdown, People Will Talk, Jump-A-Thon, BEAT

Check out these events happening on and near Main Campus.

TU Touchdown / Student Center Atrium / Sept. 18 / 7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. / Free

It is officially NFL season and Philadelphia is the host of some of the biggest football fans in the country. There are many traditions involved in football – tailgating, drinking and one of the more non-traditional, yet biggest one of course, is the Madden NFL video game. Madden, for many, is the closest connection to their favorite teams and players one can get. Having control over the plays and showing off the knowledge and strength of their favorite NFL team becomes a sport in itself. Madden 2013 was released in August and created a large buzz to game lovers nationwide. The game is being praised for its top-of-the-line graphics and realistic feel of being on the gridiron. To celebrate the football and gamer culture of football MCPB is hosting TU Touchdown, a Madden 2013 tournament, to celebrate the season and bring out the competitive nature in football lovers. The sign up period is 30 minutes before the tournament, so gear up, study your plays and get ready for the battle of the gridiron.

People Will Talk / Boyer side foyer, Tyler School of Art / Sept. 19 / 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. / Free

We’re becoming a society whose first instinct is to “log on.” For many this is a great way of communication, but for others, a way to overanalyze life situations and eventually begin to live vicariously through text. With online communications and presence only getting bigger, it’s smart to stay one step ahead and understand the psychological effects. People Will Talk is exploring the idea of how overusing online communication and texting can disconnect one from reality and ultimately create a separate universe that can negatively impact a person. The performance features six students in a dance exploring this very topic of indirect communication and how it is affecting young women today. If you see yourself coming to this point or are already at this point, this is a wonderful way to see the effects in an artistic and meaningful way.

Jump-A-Thon: Back in the Day / Student Center / Sept. 19 / 6:30 p.m. / Free

For many young girls and boys, jumping rope is a simple pastime that requires minimal equipment and large amounts of energy – everything a kid has. It looks fairly easy but like many other playground activities it can be turned into competition by simply turning the intensity up. Even if your jumping days are finished, the sight of a rope brings back impeccable memories of a simpler time. On Wednesday, not only will you be reminded of those simple days, but there will be information and awareness for a serious cause: sickle cell disease. So if you need to step back from the grown up world for just a couple hours and feel like the worry-free, jumping-rope kid you once were, this is the place to be.

BEAT / Conwell Dance Theater, 1801 N. Broad St. / Sept. 21–22 / 7:30 p.m. / General Admission $15 / $5 with Temple Student ID

Many of the dances and songs we love today originated from places we have never been, but we embrace them and create our own clever, signature sounds. Documenting, and most importantly, teaching history is the greatest way to preserve it. Though history might sound like a dreadful lecture to sit through, “BEAT,” a dance collective, offers a real life display of past customs and contemporary adaptations. Its goal is to bring all people together and display a piece of history that should be celebrated year round. Get your history lesson from Magi Ross and her dancers on Sept. 21 and 22.