Local South Philly bar offers comfort to Phillies fans young and old

Part four of a multi-part series. Renowned sports bar and restaurant Chickie’s and Pete’s gets all the hype when it comes to watching the Phillies, especially given its proximity to Citizen’s Bank Park. But the

Part four of a multi-part series.

Renowned sports bar and restaurant Chickie’s and Pete’s gets all the hype when it comes to watching the Phillies, especially given its proximity to Citizen’s Bank Park. But the mandatory $30 gift card purchase required to enter during Sunday night’s World Series Game 4 disheartened many potential patrons. Lucky for them, Philadium Tavern is off-the-beaten path and located only a block away.
Fred Falcone is a Philadelphia native, Philadium regular and Phillies fan “since forever.” He said he doesn’t need all the frills of Chickie’s and Pete’s, just give him the game and he’s happy.
“I’m very loyal and enthusiastic,” he said. “I believe they can win, even if they have to win three in a row, I believe in them.”
There was a mixed crowd of young and old at the tavern for Game 4, but everyone got excited about the game. Falcone sarcastically refers to all Yankees hitters as “Babe Ruth,” and when Feliz hit the game-tying homer in the eighth inning, the cheers were as noisy as they would be in a bar twice as big.
Jamie Donaghue, an architect and Temple graduate student, was a Philadium first-timer tonight and followed suit with Falcone’s positive outlook, despite the current standings.
“I was in New York for three days and it was horrible to watch the last two losses. I was so ready to razz Yankees fans but I had nothing. I’m optimistic about the Phillies. They have been good the past couple years so you have to expect them to win,” he said.
Not everyone shared the hopeful sentiment.
“We’re a little nervous,” said South Jersey resident and frequent Philadium visitor Cindy Jones. “If they don’t take this game, they don’t stand a chance.”
Regardless of Raul Ibanez’s performance, Jones said he’s her favorite Phillie because “he’s hot.”
Game coverage suggesting that there’s no hope for the Phils disappointed Falcone.
“I hate when people give in to that,” he said.
It appeared many at the bar lost their faith in the home team after the Yankees scored three runs in the ninth, closing their tabs and walking out before the Phillies got up to bat.
The pressure is on both teams for what could be the fifth of seven or last game of the World Series depending on Monday night’s outcome.
Michelle Provencher can be reached at michelle.provencher@temple.edu.