Logistics for Owls on the Hill Day announced

Students and alumni will stump for higher education funding Tuesday in Harrisburg.

Temple Student Government Student Body President David Lopez announced the final schedule for Owls on the Hill Day in Harrisburg planned for tomorrow, March 19, at Monday’s General Assembly meeting.

Between 100 and 150 students will join TSG officers and alumni in the state capital to meet with legislatures to both advocate for higher education funding and thank legislatures who have supported the state appropriations in the past.

The group of students is scheduled to depart Main Campus at 9 a.m. Tuesday morning, hear from Senior Vice President for Government, Community and Public Affairs Ken Lawrence upon arrival in Harrisburg, meet with legislatures for about two hours and return to Main Campus around 4 p.m.

Following the Owls on the Hill logistics, Director of Academic Affairs Patricia Boateng announced the creation of an academic affairs round table that will be held Thursday, March 28 at 4 p.m. in Student Center room 220.

“The purpose of the round table is to get students together, so we can discuss the issues that they are facing,” Boateng said.

The round table will focus on academic advising, transfer and non-traditional student experiences, the general education program and requirements for undergraduate majors.

Boateng and the TSG Academic Affairs Committee hope to facilitate an open forum style round table to “give students the chance to put on an honest face and share their opinions.”

The academic affairs round table idea stemmed from a meeting Lopez and his fellow officers had with Provost and Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs Hai-Lung Dai.

“The new provost and senior vice president for academic affairs wants there to be more student involvement in undergraduate studies and wants students to take a more active role in developing and improving their undergraduate experience,” Boateng said.

It is uncertain if Dai will join the roundtable discussion, but Boateng assured the stories and concerns shared during the event will be passed along to the provost.

At next Monday’s meeting, the candidates for the 2013 TSG elections will not only kick off their campaigns, but will also be introduced to the General Assembly.

Laura Detter can be reached at laura.detter@temple.edu.