LOOKING FOR THE PERFECT GIFT

Valentines day, a day some love, a day some love to hate. Regardless of how one feels about it, it is one of the most commercialized holidays of the year. It’s the day that has

Valentines day, a day some love, a day some love to hate. Regardless of how one feels about it, it is one of the most commercialized holidays of the year.

It’s the day that has been designated as the one day of the year to demonstrate emotional expression. As for the other 364 days of the year…well maybe they’re spent preparing for Valentines Day.

As American custom has it, buying gifts has become tradition. Flowers, candy and balloons are all popular items for the holiday season. From the early planners to the procrastinators, there’s always somewhere to buy something. Some of the stores specialize in unique gift ideas. Whether it be the guy on the corner selling cheap flowers, to the gas station, to the most expensive flower shops downtown.

Many small shop owners claim that the Valentines Day rush can be a bit overwhelming. It normally runs from the second week in February through the big day.

Spain’s Cards and Gifts on Chestnut Street.

The most popular item is the Russell Stovers chocolates whose price can reach $45 for 3lbs. of chocolate.

Valentines Day generates a more concentrated profit in one day than any other holiday throughout the year,” said employee Taneka Young.

Other shops have revealed that as the holiday season draws closer, prices also increase. It is a simple case of supply and demand.

For example Barbara’s Florist on Walnut Street sells a dozen roses the first week in February for $55, but by the second week in February leading through Valentines Day prices increase at least $20.

But as time gets late people will succumb to outrageous prices.

Another unique aspect of the holiday is that it has such an emotional stigma attached to it, that at times it can become uncomfortable for employees. When it comes to expressing ones emotions for a loved one, the very best is expected and at times it can become a big ordeal.

“It’s so strange how all lines become erased when it comes to personal issues, such as Valentines Day,” says Barbara’s Florist employee Damian Norfleet. “When it comes to card messages, so many people confide in me and tell me all of their personal feelings, they often ask me what I think they should write and I feel like saying, ‘You know them better than I do. One guy actually started crying, it was so odd, I didn’t know what to do.”

Valentines Day, the one day of the year chosen to express your feelings to anyone special. Why? Sometimes Americans need an excuse to spend money or do certain things. Whatever the reason, we as a people are captivated and will continue to flood those same small shops making it their highest gross profit day for the year.

People often get caught up in the material aspects of the day; but regardless of how much money is spent, the foundation of Valentines Day should be love.