Looking to get scared?

Big fans of horror movies seem to always have the term “nerd” associated with them. One look at the Exhumed Films Web site, however, shows an obvious lack of care for the term. These are

Big fans of horror movies seem to always have the term “nerd” associated with them. One look at the Exhumed Films Web site, however, shows an obvious lack of care for the term.

These are the types of guys who are proud of being nerds. They simply love horror films. For six years, they have been sharing their love of horror films with a loyal and devoted fanbase in various theaters in South Jersey.

Dan Fraga, Jesse Nelson, Harry Guerro and Joseph Gervasi formed Exhumed Films in 1997 with the sole intent of providing a platform for the slasher style, B-grade horror film.

Their first screening was held around Halloween of 1997, and they have done over 70 more since then in various venues.

Exhumed is a true underground sensation. In addition to various passers by, they have a small but extremely loyal group of devoted fans who never miss a screening.

Exhumed was created purely out of love for horror as genre, and for no other reason. The crowds who come out to the screenings, at least for the most part, come because they love these movies just as much.

Fans are treated to between one and three movies, depending on the occasion, with the special triple features only costing $10.

The current home of Exhumed, the Broadway theatre in Pitman NJ, is a theatre very befitting of these screenings. It is a vintage restored theatre complete with balcony.

Exhumed has also been privy to some celebrity appearances over the years. Cult legend horror actor Bruce Campbell appeared at a screening of his Evil Dead films. Makeup artist Tom Savini (a recognizable name to any horror fan) has also appeared.

The next Exhumed Films screening is Friday Dec. 12 at the Pitman at 7:30 p.m. It is a Christmas themed double feature of Silent Night, Deadly Night and Black Christmas. The cost is $8. For more information, go to www.exhumedfilms.com.

Chuck DelRoss can be reached at cdelross@temple.edu