Make it a special night

As Feb. 14 makes its annual appearance, the city of brotherly love has been decorating and prepping to celebrate romance in style. Every year men and women struggle to create the perfect date, find a

As Feb. 14 makes its annual appearance, the city of brotherly love has been decorating and prepping to celebrate romance in style.

Every year men and women struggle to create the perfect date, find a good place to go out or plan the perfect evening indoors. While dinner and the movies can be the recipe for a good night, here are some alternative ideas to make this Valentine’s Day memorable.

America’s first zoo offers a one-of-a-kind tour with an insider glance at “love on the wild side.” Philadelphia Zoo’s special Valentine’s Day event is a chance for a romantic walk with nature. Learn about the mating behaviors and courtship patterns of more than 1,600 animals, including frogs and elephants.

The tour also discusses related topics such as how decisions are made to breed endangered species. The 42 acres of the Philadelphia Zoo’s Victorian gardens come alive as participants take a look at everything from endangered tigers to rare sifaka lemurs.

“Love on the Wild Side” will depart twice only on Feb. 14. A brunch and tour is slated from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and an encore dinner and tour will last from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tickets, ranging from $75 a person or $135 a couple for the brunch and $135 a person for the dinner, are available through www.philadelphiazoo.org. For more information, call (215) 898-6479.

If animals don’t spell love, take a trip over to “A Romance of Spoken Word and Jazz.” With soft jazz lingering in the air and the blossoming flowers completing the picture, the artistic expressions of poetry will bring romance to the table.

“Napalm” Dixon, former member of Temple’s Improvisation Troupe, will share the stage with The Apeggio Jazz Ensemble this Feb. 14. Come early and enjoy brunch while listening to the melodic tunes taking stage at 2:30 p.m. Bring some of your own work to share during a 10 minute open mic session following the performance.

The brunch and the show are only $21.95 per person. For more information, call (610) 388-6771.

Finally, the Spaghetti Warehouse is offering two dinner shows. For only $24.95 per person, the Spaghetti Warehouse serves up unlimited bread, salad and soft drinks alongside an entre of choice. On Friday night, the infamous “Murder Mystery Dinner Show” brings six cast members to center stage in a hilarious performance, complete with audience participation.

On Saturday night, a healthy dose of comedy is served with the pasta to liven up the night. Reservations are required for each 8 p.m. dinner show. For more information, call (215) 787-0784.

Whether its adventure, a quiet afternoon or permeating laughter you are seeing, Valentine’s Day is a special occasion to celebrate romance and love.

Tamara Fisher can be reached at Teegirl24@aol.com