Managing stress during midterms

Pop quiz: Do you know the dreaded word that starts with a M and ends with a S that seems to get all college students in a frenzy, wired on coffee and longing for an

Pop quiz: Do you know the dreaded word that starts with a M and ends with a S that seems to get all college students in a frenzy, wired on coffee and longing for an extra hour of sleep? Midterms, of course!

Some good ways to cope with mental stress are meditation, challenging the accuracy of negative thoughts by focusing on positive energy, repeating positive coping statements and developing a coping plan with a friend, family member or counselor. Additional coping methods include reading, watching television or movies, playing games and developing hobbies.

During these mid-semester months it seems impossible to find a way to get through midterms without losing your mind. It is during these months that stress levels run high and patience reaches an all-time low.

“During midterms, I feel very uptight because there’s so much pressure to do well that I just don’t know how to deal with the stress and I often get migraines,” said junior Candace Henderson-Brooks.

During these times, it becomes vital for students to take care of themselves both mentally and physically.

According to sources at Tuttleman Counseling Services, when the body is really stressed it will exhibit changes in mind, body, emotions and behavior. These changes may be things such as negative self-defeating statements, feelings of agitation, uneasiness and depression.

It seems that all people have their way of coping with stress, some maintaining a level head and cool attitude, others coming very close to the deep end. Many students have found various ways of maintaining their sanity during such grueling times.

“When I do study, I try not to study for long periods of time and I make sure I take plenty of breaks to relax by listening to music or watching television,” said junior Jami Rhodes.

The counseling center suggests that maintaining a healthy diet and finding simple ways to relax draws away from stressful times that often come along with big tests. Some good ways to cope with mental stress are meditation, challenging the accuracy of negative thoughts by focusing on positive energy, repeating positive coping statements and developing a coping plan with a friend, family member or counselor. Additional coping methods include reading, watching television or movies, playing games and developing hobbies.

Mental stresses are just half of ways students become affected by the worries of midterms. Physical stress can be just as taxing. There are also specific ways to deal with physical stress including exercising, soaking in a hot bath tub, practicing Yoga or Tai Chi, using guided imagery, receiving massages and diaphragmatic breathing.

Although midterms are important, some people take a nonchalant approach without letting the tests get to them.

“A test is a test,” says junior Tamara Hughes. “It’s not worth killing myself over it. If I feel myself getting stressed, I take a break and a couple of deep breaths and switch to something that I enjoy, like working out or playing basketball.”

As midterms and finals come and go, it is important to keep these things in mind because physical and mental stress can prove to be harmful, sometimes even derailing attempts to do well in school.