MANAGING THE TEMPLE NEWS

Since arriving at the Temple News in the spring semester of 1998 as a freshman, I have seen and learned a lot from all staff members. Most importantly, I learned valuable “real world” experience at

Since arriving at the Temple News in the spring semester of 1998 as a freshman, I have seen and learned a lot from all staff members. Most importantly, I learned valuable “real world” experience at the Temple News, which cannot be taught in any class given by the School Of Communications and Theater.

In my four years working for our student run newspaper, I have improved my writing skills and developed a better understanding of the profession of journalism. I have also learned to work with people of various ethnic backgrounds. As a section and managing editor, my writing, editing, leadership and time management skills have improved greatly.

Our student publication is one of few college papers in the Philadelphia area who pay students to contribute their services. But joining this paper was much more than a paycheck every Friday. Experience, establishing life-long friendships, learning to work with others whom were different than I, sharpening my writing skills and most importantly, a resume builder were treasures I received from the News.

Albeit, with the positives came challenging moments. A lot of controversial happenings occurred during my tenure. The placement of a Jewish Holocaust ad, the protesting of a student writer who claimed discrimination. A cover story about hazing by a fraternity, in which a student writer was harassed. Dealing with administration in supplying our production staff with quality computers and printers were all challenging moments that tested my ability to think critically and offer reasonable suggestions in trying to remedy the problems.

But in the “real world” of journalism, instances such as these happen. If I weren’t a part of the News , who knows? Perhaps I would not be as prepared as I am now to deal with such occurrences in case they do happen once I join the workforce.

I encourage all students, to get involved in some shape or form with the Temple News , regardless of your major. I guarantee when you leave here, you will learn a lot and take something with you, whether it is positive or negative.

I hope that students have viewed the Temple News as a valuable resource on campus, where they can voice their opinions about whatever they see is right or wrong within the university, or about any event they wish to cover and not be intimidated in getting your voice heard.

Congratulations to the New Editor-in-Chief, Brian Swope and Managing Editor, Neal Ramirez. I am confident they along with their staff will work hard in keeping the Temple News as a positive establishment and outlet where students can voice themselves.