Martin, Latifah bring the laughs in Bringing Down the House

Steve Martin and Queen Latifah lead an all-star cast in the uproarious comedy Bringing Down the House. With the help of a stellar ensemble, director Adam Shankman delivers a comedic gem worthy of Oscar consideration.

Steve Martin and Queen Latifah lead an all-star cast in the uproarious comedy Bringing Down the House.

With the help of a stellar ensemble, director Adam Shankman delivers a comedic gem worthy of Oscar consideration.

Martin stars as attorney Peter Sanderson.

Peter is a down-and-out divorcee still secretly longing for his ex-wife Kate (Jean Smart).

Peter’s straight-laced world gets turned up side down when prison escapee Charlene (Latifah) enters the picture after the two met via an Internet chat room.

Charlene tells Peter that he needs to help her clear her name of a crime she claims she didn’t commit.

Charlene brings out Peter’s goofier and more charming side and in the process helps to rekindle the fire between Peter and Kate.

Martin’s comedic timing is flawless.

Latifah bares her funny bone in a stellar performance as the charming and larger-than-life Charlene.

The chemistry between the two is fluid and powerful.

The results are some of the funniest scenes in the movie, including a gut-busting scene in which Charlene teaches Peter how to get his groove on.

Martin’s straight-man approach fires on all cylinders as he delivers one of his funniest performances since Dirty Rotten Scoundrels.

The laughs keep on coming thanks to Eugene Levy, who plays Peter’s best friend Howie Rottman.

Howie falls head over heels for Charlene and spends most of the movie trying to woo her, with some hilarious results.

Like Martin, Levy’s timing is sharp and witty.

Missi Pyle, Joan Plowright and Betty White give stellar performances as well.

Pyle plays Peter’s stuck-up ex-sister-in-law, while Plowright portrays Peter’s wealthy client Mrs. Arness. White delivers another solid performance as Peter’s rude neighbor Mrs. Klein.

With all the fine acting in the film, the story moves along rather quickly, getting straight to the point.

Also, a pulsating and eclectic soundtrack gives the movie an added dose of flavor.

The chemistry between Martin and Latifah is electrifying and brilliant.

Their ability to play off each other is what holds the movie together.

The two blend perfectly despite playing characters with such opposite personalities.

Bringing Down the House is a genuine laugh-out-loud movie that keeps the audience rolling and holds their attention from beginning to end.

Dustin Schoof can be reached at schoofy@att.net.