McCarthy’s 42 puts Temple past 49ers

Sophomore guard Kristen McCarthy broke three different scoring records in the women’s basketball team’s (19-6, 8-2) 79-68 win over reigning Atlantic Ten Conference champion UNC Charlotte (15-10, 8-3). She set a new career high in

Sophomore guard Kristen McCarthy broke three different scoring records in the women’s basketball team’s (19-6, 8-2) 79-68 win over reigning Atlantic Ten Conference champion UNC Charlotte (15-10, 8-3).

She set a new career high in points as she had a double double with 42 points and 11 rebounds. Her 42 points are the most points scored in the Liacouras Center by a women’s basketball player since Natalie Issac scored 38 points against Massachusetts in the 2001 season.

With less than a minute left in the game, McCarthy had 39 points, which was two shy of the team record for most individual points scored in a game, which was set by Marilyn Stephens against George Mason during the 1983 season. McCarthy had the opportunity to tie the record with 55 seconds left.

“I honestly didn’t know how many points I had till the second to last free throws, my teammate got my attention on the bench and said ‘If you get these two free throws, then you’ll get 40,’” McCarthy said. “Then I got nervous on the I missed the first free throw.”

She made the second free throw and was fouled again at the 33 second mark, where sank the two more free throws she needed to surpass the record.

“I’m proud of her, she put her team on her back and took them to victory.” Coach Tonya Cardoza said.

“I just want to keep improving, I don’t want to be satisfied with anything that I do.” McCarthy added. “My goal is to play professional basketball and while I’m here I just want to make my teammates better and make myself better as much as I can so that we can win the A-10 and go far in the NCAA [tournament].”

Senior guard LaKeisha Eaddy also had a good game for the Owls with 14 points and five assists. Charlotte was able to keep the game fairly close with a 26-point performance from junior guard Shannon McCallum.

“She’s a beast on the other side, she’s hard to defend, but I thought we did a good job as best as we could, but then we had someone who could score for us.” Cardoza said. “We scored 79 points, we haven’t seen the 70’s in a while, especially in this building [the Liacouras Center] too, we haven’t been shooting the ball well, but today was a good day for us.”

Senior forward Ashley Spriggs also chipped in 13 points for the 49ers.
Up next, the Owls face Duquesne, a team that they are currently tied for second place in the A-10. Tipoff is at noon in McGonigle Hall on Feb. 17.

Game Notes: The Owls have won 9 of their last ten games… Junior forward Marli Bennett is the reigning A-10 player of the week after averaging 11 points and eight rebounds a game in the team’s two wins last week against St. Joseph’s and La Salle… Temple’s next two upcoming opponents currently are among the top four teams in the A-10.

Brian Dzenis can be reached at brian.dzenis@temple.edu