Men’s basketball winter preview

The men’s basketball team will look to exact some revenge on No. 16 Georgetown when the Hoyas visit the Liacouras Center Thursday. Last season, on Nov. 17, the Owls lost, 46-45, and fell short of

The men’s basketball team will look to exact some revenge on No. 16 Georgetown when the Hoyas visit the Liacouras Center Thursday. Last season, on Nov. 17, the Owls lost, 46-45, and fell short of upsetting the then-No. 20 Hoyas after then-senior center Greg Monroe scored the game-winning layup with six seconds left.

It was a low-scoring affair, in which senior forward Lavoy Allen was the only Owl to score more than 10 points as he had a double-double with 12 points and 14 rebounds. Monroe is no longer with the team, but other scoring threats exist. The 8-0 Hoyas have a formidable trio of guards in seniors Austin Freeman and Chris Wright and junior Jason Clark. Freeman averages 20.1 points per game, Clark averages 14.9 and Wright averages 14.8.

JOHN BIRK TTN

The Hoyas have already made waves this season by defeating then-No. 9 Missouri in overtime, 111-102, on the road. Georgetown was fueled by Freeman’s 31 points, while Clark and Wright contributed 26 and 21 points, respectively. Tipoff is at 9 p.m.

After that, the Owls continue their home stretch with games against Akron and Northern Illinois on Dec. 12 and 18, respectively, before heading into winter break.

The 4-2 Zips are led by junior forward Nikola Cvetinovic, who hails from Serbia and averages 14.8 points per game. The team received all its wins by playing Horizon League opponents and Milliken, which is not a Division I school.

The 2-4 Huskies are a one-man band led by senior guard Xavier Silas, who averages 26.3 points per game; no other player scores in double-digits. Like Akron, Northern Illinois has one win over a non-Division I team, and its only other win is over the 2-5 Maryland-Eastern Shore Hawks.

Tipoff for the games are at 3 p.m. and 2 p.m., respectively.

Brian Dzenis can be reached at brian.dzenis@temple.edu.