Men’s tennis compete at Navy Blue Invite

The Owls players had mixed results in its first tournament, while the Rams’ brothers, Filip and Kacper, posted a 2-1 doubles record on Sept. 9-11 at the Navy Blue Invite. Senior Filip Rams lost his first

The Owls players had mixed results in its first tournament, while the Rams’ brothers, Filip and Kacper, posted a 2-1 doubles record on Sept. 9-11 at the Navy Blue Invite.

Senior Filip Rams lost his first singles match to Binghamton’s senior Alex Haggai, 7-5, 6-0, but went on and won the remainder of his singles matches as he defeated Saint Bonaventure’s sophomore Elliot Fanshell, 7-6 (7-4), 6-0 and Navy’s senior Marcus Rebersak, 6-0, 7-5.

“The first tournament is always hard,” Filip Rams said. “I was playing during the summer, but I was not in match shape. The first match was kind of hard, but things got better and I performed better later on.”

Owls’ Junior Kacper Rams also lost his first singles match to Binghamton’s junior Ruben Devos, 7-6 (7-4), 1-6, 1-0 (10-7), won his second match against Saint Bonaventure’s junior Oscar Yanez, 7-5, 6-4 and was defeated by Navy’s freshman Peter McDonald, 5-7, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5) in his last singles match of the tournament.

“We were not prepared because we could not really practice because of the rain,” Kacper Rams said. “We were a little tired because of the traveling. We knew it was going to be tough.”

A player that had an impressive showing at the Invite was Owls’ Taylor Hairston, a 5-8, 155 pound, sophomore.

Hairston dropped his first singles match to Binghamton’s sophomore Ruben Haggai, 6-3, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8), but shook off that first loss and defeated Saint Bonaventure’s sophomore Javier Ortiz, 6-4, 6-0 and Navy’s freshman Blake Daniel, 5-7, 7-5, 1-0 (13-11) as he went on to win the fifth flight singles championship.

“It felt good winning this tournament,” said Hairston. “First time back we did not have much practice so doing well without much practice feels good.”

Brian Kim can be reached at brian.kim@temple.edu