Men’s tennis reaches .500 mark

After an 0-8 start, the Owls have won 10 of their past 12 matches.

On a sunny afternoon at the Student Pavilion, the men’s tennis team continued its hot streak.

The Owls have not lost a match since March 14 at Binghamton, as Saturday’s 4-3 victory against Bucknell was Temple’s sixth straight win and 10th in their last 12 matches since they started the year 0-8. The team now sits at .500 with a 10-10 record heading into the regular season finale on Sunday against Rider.

The match against Bucknell started well for Temple, as the team won the doubles point and Santiago Canete took care of business in his singles match.  However, Bucknell responded with three straights wins in singles to take a 3-2 lead in the match and it took wins by Hernan Vasconez and Kristian Marquart in singles to pull the match out.

“Bucknell fought real hard in singles today and we were happy to get a win against them,” coach Steve Mauro said.

Mauro said he felt the resiliency his team showed in eventually pulling out the match was telling of how they’ve continued to believe in themselves throughout this hot streak.

“It’s been that way all year especially in the latter part of the year,” Mauro added. “The guys never give up.”

Mauro said the continuation of the streak “will definitely” motivate the team heading into the American Athletic Conference tournament next weekend in Memphis, Tenn.

Greg Frank can be reached at greg.frank@temple.edu or on Twitter @g_frank6.