Men’s track eyes up playoffs

Men’s indoor track and field aims to sustain momentum. The common perception that the indoor season of track is merely a preparation period for the spring doesn’t sit well with coach Eric Mobley. In his

Men’s indoor track and field aims to sustain momentum.

The common perception that the indoor season of track is merely a preparation period for the spring doesn’t sit well with coach Eric Mobley.

In his fourth year of coaching the men’s side of the Owls’ track program, Mobley was very clear when discussing the importance of all three seasons of track.

“Each season is a different season and we want to maximize everything we can do, every time out,” Mobley said. “No season should be downplayed because each one is important. We want to win in indoor just as much as we do in outdoor or cross country.”

Due to Mobley’s positive attitude and emphasis on success, it’s only fitting that this season’s team could be one of Temple’s best in years.

Senior leadership, as well as a strong influx of youth has Temple setting its sights on the Atlantic Ten Conference championship this season.

Sophomores Alex McGee and Lionel Wilson have led the charge for Temple’s young runners this season. Wilson already has a victory in the 300-meter dash under his belt and McGee has contributed on several key relays thus far.

“We have a really young team this year, but at the same time we have a great chance to compete with the higher-end teams in the conference,” senior hurdler Tim Malloy said. “We also have some guys coming back who redshirted last season, as well as our seniors so this should be a really good year.”

Malloy is just one in a strong senior core that also includes distance runners Travis Mahoney and Ben Thomas, sprinter Alan Harding and thrower Brian Littlepage.

Mahoney redshirted this past cross country season to continue his pursuits in the Olympic trials. After his extended hiatus from Temple track, Mahoney said he is looking forward to wearing the Temple logo on his chest once again.

“I’m really focused this year and I have a lot of ambition, especially because these are my last two seasons of track at Temple,” Mahoney said.

Mahoney has started off strong this season as shown by his second place finish of four minutes and 14 seconds in the mile run at the Father Diamond Invitational.

“I’ve learned a great deal here, and I’ve become a better runner with a lot more confidence in these last few years,” Mahoney said. “Although I want to remain focused, I want to enjoy this year also because it’s my last.”

Mobley said the Owls will take a level-headed approach to each contest.

“Our approach to a meet depends on each meet, Mobley said. “In non-scoring meets, we are looking for individual performances and to get our runners qualified for the postseason. In scoring meets, our focus is to do what we need to do in order to win the meet.”

Drew Parent can be reached at andrew.parent@temple.edu.