Miller ‘out of the woods’

A Temple University student is recovering quickly after being shot over the weekend by her ex-boyfriend. Cori Miller, who is from the Baltimore area, was initially treated in Hahnemann’s Intensive Care Unit, but she was

A Temple University student is recovering quickly after being shot over the weekend by her ex-boyfriend.

Cori Miller, who is from the Baltimore area, was initially treated in Hahnemann’s Intensive Care Unit, but she was moved into her own room as her condition improved.

“She’s been wonderful,”Dean of Students James Fitzsimmons said.

“Her spirits are very good. She has been asking for her school books, because she said she knows she has assignments coming up.”

Miller’s doctors have said that she is “out of the woods,”according to Fitzsimmons.

He said that Miller has stood up and has been alert and able to talk.

“[Her] family is very hopeful about her ongoing recovery,”Fitzsimmons said.

Miller’s parents declined to comment.

Former Temple student and football player Shawn Walker entered the lobby of Vivacqua Hall at 7:30 a.m. on Sat., Feb. 1 and shot third-year student Miller with a .38-caliber revolver before shooting himself in the head, said Philadelphia Police.

Miller, 21, was rushed to Hahnemann University Hospital with gunshot wounds to her eye and chest. She was listed in stable condition on Wednesday, Feb. 5, said hospital officials.

The 21-year-old Walker was pronounced dead at Temple University Hospital, said University officials.

According to an article in The Philadelphia Inquirer, Miller and Walker were seen walking together at 6:30 a.m. on Saturday when she reported for work.

According to police, Walker then went to a doughnut shop and soon returned, shooting Miller and then himself.

Miller was on duty as a campus safety service representative when the shooting occurred.

She is also a Resident Assistant on the Kardon Building’s seventh floor, which houses freshmen.

Walker was a back-up strong safety from Deptford, NJ that appeared in 11 games on 2001.

It is unknown at this time why Walker stopped attending classes.

Philadelphia Police were the lead investigators in the case.

They closed the case because of Walker’s death.

Brian White can be reached at zapata@temple.edu.