Morning Madness only hours away

Booze or caffeine. Take your pick. Either way, one of these substances should get you through Morning Madness. The festivities begin midnight tonight at the Liacouras Center, where students will get first dibs at season

Booze or caffeine.

Take your pick.

Either way, one of these substances should get you through Morning Madness. The festivities begin midnight tonight at the Liacouras Center, where students will get first dibs at season tickets for the upcoming men’s and women’s basketball season.

Camping out is encouraged.

Single student season tickets are $30 apiece and groups of 11 or more receive a discount; $25 a person and the group leader get his or her tickets for free. All students need to bring their student identification card with them to the Liacouras Center and can pay by Diamond Dollars, cash, credit card or check.

Student season tickets will guarantee a seat in “The Nest,” the new name for the student section located next to the band on the western side of the arena.

In recent years, Temple’s Marketing and Promotions department has had an alternating format for purchasing basketball season tickets. Last year it was Hoops Hysteria, a midday event featuring an open 76ers practice, a dunk contest for the men’s basketball team, a brief scrimmage between the men’s and women’s teams and giveaways.

This year’s format will run from midnight to 7 a.m., though some of the action will kickoff this afternoon when a 150-pound pig will be roasted for students in the loading dock of the Liacouras Center around 3:00 p.m. There will even be a “Name the Pig” contest.

“When’s the last time you saw a pig cooked out on Broad Street?” said Cap Poklemba, a Temple athletics intern who has been working on the project since August. “Even if you don’t like basketball and just want to hang out, come on out and enjoy yourself, have some pig, enjoy the band.”

Looking Glass Self, a Temple cover band, will perform on the walkway in front of Vivacqua Hall between midnight and 3:00 a.m. In addition, there will also be poster giveaways and gift certificates to various Center City restaurants.

For those of age, Temple will also be handing out coupons for $1 off the cover charge to the Draught Horse so students can warm up and have a cold one before tickets go on sale at 5:30 a.m.

While students are purchasing season tickets, there will be plenty of action in the main concourse. The Temple Band, Diamond Gems Dance Team, along with radio and television stations, will all be on hand. Krispy Kreme donuts and coffee will also be served.

The day concludes with the men’s basketball practice, which will be open to the public. It’s a chance to see Hall of Fame coach John Chaney direct his team on the hardwood.

“If this works well, we’ll try and perpetuate it,” said Zach Conen, Director of Marketing, Promotions and Ticket Sales. “Traditions are a good thing.”

Chris Silva can be reached at bxrican81@yahoo.com.