Mr. Right says “Have a good night”

Well, this is it: my last column for the Temple News. That’s right, yours truly is just about to graduate (c’mon, let’s pass that last class!) and those of you who look for this column

Well, this is it: my last column for the Temple News. That’s right, yours truly is just about to graduate (c’mon, let’s pass that last class!) and those of you who look for this column week after week deserve my many thanks. The opinions I’ve written in this space haven’t always been popular, as evidenced by the occasional deluge of e-mails, but they have all been written in the hopes that someone out there is reading them.

I’d like to first address a message to those of you who are graduating in January, or even in May. Cherish the time you spent here at Temple. The last three and a half years I spent here have been without a doubt, some of the most memorable of my life. I will forever remember my time here, as should you all.

To those of you who have not yet completed your sentences … I mean requirements … I say don’t get so caught up in your studies or other activities that you don’t have time to just sit back and enjoy college once in a while. Here are a few things I used that made my time here special, and I encourage everyone to do a few of them.

Sit on the grass in the warm weather and just watch everyone else walk around. You’d be surprised how oddly calming the hurried rush to class is when you’re not in it.

Reserve your books in the bookstore. There is nothing like the pissed off looks on the faces of the people in line when you stroll in and out of the bookstore in five minutes.

Have lunch with someone you love on the bench opposite the bust of Russell Conwell in Founder’s Garden, near Barton Hall. Long after that person is out of your life, you’ll still savor the memory.

Eat a chicken cheese steak from the big white lunch truck on 12th across the street from Anderson and Gladfelter Halls. They helped to add some much-needed variety to the typical cold pizza diet.

Find an extracurricular activity that you really enjoy, like, writing for the Temple News! We’re … I mean they’re … always looking for talented writers with good news writing skills or a biting wit for the opinion pages. (Thanks again for the gig, Jeremy!)

Above all, though, I would tell everyone who’s still here at Temple to never take anything at second or third hand, without making your own decisions. Even the best professor is wrong sometimes, and we should all be able to filter anything through ourselves and make the decision that’s right for us.

Again, thank you to everyone who read my column all semester, even if you didn’t agree with me. You made those late night writing sessions worthwhile. Last note: my opinions are the only ones that matter.

Here endeth the lesson.