NEED NEW BODY GIVE HEADLINERS A RUN FOR THEIR MONEY

It was Halloween all over again when Need New Body took the stage at the TLA last Wednesday. It seemed like the band picked up all the “after Halloween” discounts at local costume stores and

It was Halloween all over again when Need New Body took the stage at the TLA last Wednesday. It seemed like the band picked up all the “after Halloween” discounts at local costume stores and took the stage after raiding trash dumpsters and getting musical lessons from the members of STOMP.

Originally from Jersey, the band formerly known as Bent Leg Fatima, originated at Edison High School when keyboardist Dale Jimenez and vocalist Jeff Bradbury started creating music together. The original members recruited saxophone player Larry Brown, formerly of Philly band Jon Large, and chose the moniker Need New Body. The five members of the group have since moved to Philly.

One can tell after seeing them play that these folks have raw talent in their blood. How many bands do you see nowadays that can make music from bicycle wheels, garbage cans and kitchen ware and actually make it sound good?

With each song, one feels like they are listening to a different band. They opened up with a few really noisy, bass heavy songs. Then Larry Brown broke out into a smooth and mellow jazz number. The vocalist sang a little, screamed a little, and then read a little poetry.

Many musicians nowadays take themselves too seriously. Need New Body breaks out from all of that and proves themselves to be a band just out there to have fun. Everyone in the audience had different expressions on their face. Some were smiling, some were laughing (with them or at them, I’m not sure), and some just stared with a bland expression that said “huh?”