Neighborhoods: North Philadelphia

Even though South Philadelphia and Center City have a heavy concentration of Temple student residents, the most popular neighborhood where students reside is North Philadelphia. With many housing options, thousands of students take advantage of

Even though South Philadelphia and Center City have a heavy concentration of Temple student residents, the most popular neighborhood where students reside is North Philadelphia.

With many housing options, thousands of students take advantage of the close proximity to classes.

Realtors like Philadelphia Management and Temple Town Realty have renovated area buildings to rent to students.

Temple’s newest housing addition, The Atlantic Building, offers two to four person apartments. On the streets behind the tracks, buildings are rented out to groups of at least six students.

Living close to campus has its advantages. From sports to the symphony, students are only a subway ride away from almost any location in the city.
Temple’s Liacouras Center is a popular venue for sports, concerts and other shows.

“The main advantage of living here is that there is always something to do,” sophomore Joshua Federoff said. “I can take the subway down to Center City and hang out there, or find something to do on campus.”

But North Philadelphia has its disadvantages. Reputed to be unsafe, worry remains in the minds of those students traveling at night.

“Twice in the past month I have been approached by hack drivers, who aren’t necessarily dangerous, but being approached when it’s late still makes me nervous,” sophomore Kimberly Walker said.

Safety is a main concern for students living on and off campus in North Philly.

“Temple makes you feel safe with the second largest police force in all of Pennsylvania,” senior Lydia Benjamin said. “It doesn’t really feel like you’re in the ghetto.”

With the proximity to campus and the transportation conveniences, North Philadelphia is the location of choice for many Temple students.

Jillian Swanson can be reached at jswanson@temple.edu.