New releases compensate for bias in ‘Fahrenheit 9/11′

While the sequels Superman 2, Shrek 2 and The Bourne Supremacy have dominated this year’s summer box offices, the film which caught the most attention was Fahrenheit 9/11, the latest from liberal filmmaker Michael Moore.

The follow up to his successful feature Bowling for Columbine, Moore’s latest venture examines the actions of the Bush administration, post Sept. 11, 2001.

The film was generally well received by the press and Hollywood elitists, including Leonardo DiCaprio who flew from New York to Los Angeles in a single day to appear at both premieres, all of which accounted for its $100 million-plus tally at the box office.

While the movie was made an election year centerpiece, supposedly convincing some to change their vote, it was also attacked for providing false information and its overall stance on American policies in Iraq and around the globe.

Though Hollywood is not known for its acceptance of conservative or right leaning opinions, a growing number of first time filmmakers are hitting the theaters or movie stores with features in direct response to the controversial material Moore has presented in his line of documentaries.

Whether or not you agree with Moore’s assessment of the Bush administration’s policy after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, it is important to view both sides of the story. Those of you dying to see a full length feature defending America and those of you just wanting to see more of Moore, your day has finally arrived.

In direct response to Moore’s latest venture, Fahrenhype 9/11 portrays the liberal filmmaker as a liar who uses deceptive practices to get his point across.

More important is the film’s position that Moore simply does not understand the threat of terrorism which currently exists in the United States and throughout the world.

Using interviews with former Clinton advisor and author Dick Morris, who also narrates the film, pundit Ann Coulter, Democratic Georgia Senator Zell Miller, as well as several Army soldiers who fought in Iraq and their footage from the frontlines, the film portrays Moore as a person who not only forgets the lessons of the attacks of Sept. 11, but tries to cover them up with liberal propaganda. The DVD was released, with its own companion book, on Oct. 5.

Also taking on Moore’s credibility and stances on American policy within its own borders and throughout the world is a documentary by first time filmmaker Michael Wilson.

In the appropriately titled Michael Moore Hates America, Wilson employs many of the techniques used by Moore in his first venture, Roger & Me. Namely, Wilson’s quest to have a sit down interview with the filmmaker, a la Moore with then General Motors Chairman Roger Smith.

Wilson has stated that his objective in making the film is not to attack Moore personally as other pundits have, but to point to his mischaracterizations of the American way of life.

Seeking to “tell the truth about a great nation,” Wilson has said in recent interviews that he hopes his feature will highlight the underlying American dream – built upon determination, hard work and ingenuity – not the bleak, corporate controlled universe Moore so often portrays.

Agree with Moore or not, having an open and frank discussion concerning viewpoints on American values, from corporations to the war is not only necessary, it is long overdue.

The film industry, controlled by financially successful liberals like Moore, has done a decent job of silencing their conservative critics.

But in the wave of response to Moore’s films is a unique opportunity to extend this debate into a new medium beyond the blogs, newspapers and talk shows.

Liberals who loved Moore’s depiction of the Bush administration and conservatives who did not even bother to spend the money to see Fahrenheit 9/11 now have no excuse to hear the opposing viewpoint.

Brian Reimels can be reached at breimels@temple.edu.