New Student Center in progress

Bulldozers, hard hats and dirt mounds have become been a common sight alongside the Student Center on the corner of 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue since the beginning of the fall semester. Although the construction

Bulldozers, hard hats and dirt mounds have become been a common sight alongside the Student Center on the corner of 13th Street and Montgomery Avenue since the beginning of the fall semester.

Although the construction has disrupted both cars traveling northbound through campus and students walking to class, the cause for this detour remains a mystery.

Director of Student Activities Rita Calicat explained the reason for the gaping hole.

“A brand new building is being built, a second student center,” explained Rita Calicat, Director of Student Activities.

The new center will house student organization space, meeting rooms, a cinema and a game room. Student lounges and multi-purpose rooms are among the other new features that the second Student Center will house.

“I think it’s cool that there will be more things for students to do around campus,” said freshman Alex Irwin of the new Student Center.

Other students were confused about the construction since there has not been much of a public information campaign.

“I really don’t know why it’s there or what it’s for, but I do know that it’s been going on for a long time,” said freshman Nicole Cygman, summing up what a lot of students are wondering about the construction.

Student Brendan Mulvihill had a humorous approach to this mystery.

“They’re digging for robots,” he said. “I’m positive because they realized that there’s going to be a need for mechanized labor so they’re digging up robots from the early 19th and 20th centuries to put them to labor in factories.”

Students will not have to wait too long for the new facility; the completion of this new building is projected to be in September of 2005. The building is expected to be open in time for the fall semester next year.

Ciarra Black can be reached at tua02140@temple.edu.