New Year brings new attitudes and goals

Robert Felder of West Philadelphia looks forward to setting new standards this New Year’s Day. The end of the year brings about feelings of excitement, magic and retrospection as the holiday season rolls into high

Robert Felder of West Philadelphia looks forward to setting new standards this New Year’s Day.

The end of the year brings about feelings of excitement, magic and retrospection as the holiday season rolls into high gear and the New Year approaches.

With less than a month left of 2011, people across the tri-state area are making plans as to where they will be when the ball drops.

West Philadelphia resident, Robert Felder, describes the importance of family during these times.

“Family is very important to me, and it means a lot that we all spend time together,” Felder said. “I have nine brothers and sisters and plenty of nieces and nephews, so I try to spend as much time as I can with them, especially during the holidays.”

During New Years, Felder and his family congregate to partake in end-of-the-year traditions, one of which includes discussing the year’s challenges and future goals.

“We usually get together at Mom’s house in North Philly and converse on some of the things each of us accomplished this year compared to last year’s goals, as well as set a few new goals for ourselves,” he said.

Like many Americans, fitness as well as educational goals rank high on Felder’s list of priorities for the new year.

“First and foremost, I plan on finishing school. Education is very important and I want to show my nieces and nephews that they can do anything they put their mind to,” Felder said.

“I also have to lose weight this year and get this body back on track, but after all the eating, drinking and partying that my family and I do for New Years, I might have to wait until February 2012,” Felder added.

But with movies like “2012,” depicting an apocalyptic end to the world sometime next year, some wonder if the Earth will even make it. Felder’s isn’t as easily convinced.

“I think when they say the world is coming to an end, I think it’s in reference to people’s morals,” Felder said. “I think the world is morally corrupt, but the Earth is still too healthy to die off from man’s evil doings just yet.”

Najee Clancy can be reached at  najee@temple.edu.