Suspect caught in Anderson robbery

Suspect, a non-student, has a list of priors dating back to 1989.

Update: Sunday, Oct. 6:00 p.m.

Police on Thursday captured the man they suspect in the robbery of an 81-year-old professor in Anderson Hall on the morning of Tuesday, Oct. 29 in the professor’s Anderson Hall office.

Philadelphia police issued a wanted poster for their suspect in the Anderson Hall robbery, late Wednesday night.

Darryl Moon, 45, of Philadelphia was identified by police using surveillance footage from the scene. Police say the suspect approached the victim, an 81-year-old professor, in his his office in a side hallway on the second floor of Anderson Hall, punched him in the head and held him at knife point demanding his wallet before punching him in the face again and leaving the scene.

Ray Betzner, assistant vice president for University Communications, said the suspect is not a student and has no record of a relationship with the university.

Campus Safety Services could not be reached for comment as to how the suspect entered the academic building.

Court records show that Moon has a history of robbery. Moon pleaded guilty to robbery charges in 1989, 1990, 1991, 2001 and 2007. Moon also has an active case for a retail theft arrest in September 2012. The most recent action in that case was a status hearing on the day of the Anderson Hall robbery, Oct. 29. His next court appearance is a summary trial scheduled for Dec. 11.

In 2007, Moon plead guilty to robbery by force, theft, receiving stolen property, simple assault and reckless endangerment all stemming from an arrest in September of that year. Moon was sentenced to three to six years imprisonment and a year’s probation.

Moon also has priors for possession of a controlled substance, simple assault and possession of an instrument of crime. In addition to his 2007 case, court records show Moon has been sentenced to imprisonment four times between 1989 and 2001.

A spokeswoman for the Philadelphia Police Department said the department did not have a most recent address on the suspect, and court records did not show a previous address either.

The professor was taken to Temple University Hospital with lacerations to his face as well as swelling and bleeding of the brain. Officials at TUH declined to comment of the professor’s condition Thursday morning, citing his family’s request that no new information be released.

Police warned that Moon should be considered armed and dangerous. Anyone with information is urged to call the Central Detectives Unit at 215-686-3047.

John Moritz can be reached at john.moritz@temple.edu or follow on Twitter @JCMoritzTU.