Attendance for open houses, tours increased this summer

The university had 300 more prospective students visit Main Campus in September than last year.

Jackie Kausch, an Owl Ambassador, concludes a tour of Main Campus at Paley Library for interested high school students and their parents on Oct. 3. | OLIVIA O’NEILL / THE TEMPLE NEWS

The number of prospective students visiting Main Campus increased during the summer, which is usually Main Campus’ slowest time of the year.

But Karin Mormando, director of Undergraduate Admissions, said the department is coming off a very busy summer.

“There are definitely bumps in visitor activity,” Mormando said. “September is usually really quiet for us, but it was actually really busy compared to last year.”

In September, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions reported 1,245 daily visits to Main Campus, which is 300 more visitors than in September 2016.

Temple received more than 36,000 applications for the Class of 2021 by March 1. This was the fourth year in a row Temple broke its record for received applications.

It is too early to determine if the university has received a higher number of applications for the Class of 2022, Mormando said, because only 5 percent of the application pool has been submitted. The Early Action deadline is Nov. 1 and the Rolling Admission deadline is Feb. 1.

Main Campus tours and information sessions run every weekday, year round. There are two information sessions and tour times every day: one in the morning at 10 a.m., and another in the afternoon at 2 p.m. On Tuesdays, there are special visits for transfer students. On top of daily tours during the week, there are select Saturday preview days and two fall open houses.

In all of these events, the Office of Undergraduate Admissions has seen an increase in attendees.

Mormando said Experience Temple Day is the most highly attended event for prospective students, with four dates in early 2018 after many acceptances have been sent out. The event is for accepted students and their families to attend information sessions about Temple and its schools and colleges. There were 3,100 students who attended the February Experience Temple Day earlier this year.

Kevin Zabel, a sophomore advertising major and Owl Ambassador who leads tours, said he noticed the increase in visitors.

“I feel like there definitely are a lot more [people on campus],” Zabel said. “It really is seasonal. … Over the summer we can easily do two or three tours a day.”

When high schools are out of session, tours increase by more than triple, and tour guides could give up to eight tours at a time, he added.

Tess Fordham, a 17-year-old prospective student from Abington, Pennsylvania, went on a tour with her high school on Sept. 29.

“It’s a lot different than I expected,” Fordham said. “It’s a really positive atmosphere with a bunch of students. The buildings are really modern.”

The Early Action deadline of Nov. 1 serves as an early indication of application numbers for the year, Mormando said.

The Undergraduate Admissions Office expects to see increased application activity before the Nov. 1 Early Action deadline.