Election day for TSG follows second debate

Temple Student Government candidates emphasized their main points in the final debate at the General Assembly meeting yesterday. The three slates are Owl Opportunity, Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. and Temple Reloaded. Alex Barnett, elections commissioner, asked the

Temple Student Government candidates emphasized their main points in the final debate at the General Assembly meeting yesterday.

The three slates are Owl Opportunity, Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. and Temple Reloaded.

Alex Barnett, elections commissioner, asked the slates three different questions before assembly members were allowed to question the candidates. Rebuttals were allowed during the debate.

The slates discussed concerns about TSG, differences between slates, their qualifications as candidates and their priorities.

Owl Opportunity began the debate and discussed their connections with the student body.

“We feel voters should look for someone who represents them. Someone who is responsible and can handle the job,” said Dusha Holmes, presidential candidate for Owl Opportunity.

Throughout the debate, Owl Opportunity continued to stress their plans to focus on the student body and to “keep it real.”

Although Owl Opportunity said they plan to address all members of the student body, assembly members questioned their lack of diversity. All three members are Greeks and from the same fraternity, Alpha Kappa Lambda. Holmes assured members that although they are from the same fraternity they have participated in a number of different organizations and have met many different people.

“I think that we have to manage to make connections with not only organizations, but also though interpersonal relationships,” Holmes said.

Owl V.O.I.C.E.S. had a different message that they wanted to convey. Their plan is to let every student’s voice is heard.

“Temple is based on the voices of the students. Without the voices of the students, there is no Temple Student Government,” said Nadine Mompremier, presidential candidate for Owl V.O.I.C.E.S.

Owl V.O.I.C.E.S continues to emphasize their experience in TSG with their catch phrase, “Change through experience.”

Mompremier is currently the vice president of student affairs. Her running mates – Farzad Firoz, candidate for vice president of services, and Nexus Cook, candidate for vice president of external affairs – are both active members of TSG.

Mompremier discussed the importance of building off already established relationships.

“You don’t know where you’re going if you don’t know where you’re coming from,” Mompremier said.

Temple Reloaded is coming from experience with TSG as well. Jeff Dempsey, presidential candidate, and Michael Thom, candidate for vice president of services, both took part in writing the new TSG Constitution. Steve Brooks, candidate for vice president of external affairs, has also been involved with TSG throughout his college years.

“My biggest responsibility is making sure this new structure works,” Dempsey said.  

Dempsey and Brooks highlighted other aspects of their platform at the debate. They intend on “building a community with diversity,” increasing athletic support, showing students the historical Temple locations and setting up the Gaining Involvement for Temple Students initiative. G.I.F.T.S. will give out prizes, such as paying a portion for a semester’s worth of books, to students who attend events on campus.

“It is a new day for Temple and it is time to reload,” Dempsey said.

The elections dates are today and tomorrow, April 23. Students can vote online anytime on the TSG Elections Web site, uvote.temple.edu, or at one of the four polling locations on campus between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.

The polling locations are Tuttleman Learning Center, 1300 Residence Hall, the Johnson& Hardwick cafeteria and the Student Center Atrium.

“Your vote is your voice,” Barnett said.

Rebecca Hale can be reached at rebecca.hale@temple.edu.