Police shoot at robbery suspect north of Main Campus

Temple Police fire three shots at a man, who they say robbed a Temple student on Diamond Street.

Police have a man in custody who they say pulled a gun on a student on the northern edge of Main Campus Monday morning.

Deputy Director of Campus Safety Services Charlie Leone said that around 10:30 a.m., a man approached a student on Diamond Street near Broad and allegedly pulled a gun on the woman before taking her cell phone and fleeing the area. Leone said that the student was not injured and reported the incident to police about 15 minutes later.

Around 11:45 a.m., Temple Police saw the suspect involved in another robbery on Dauphin Street near 15th and chased him to Broad Street near Susquehanna where the man was confronted by a Temple Police K-9 officer. Leone said the officer fired three shots at the man without hitting him and chased after the suspect until he was arrested at Carlisle and York streets.

Leone said that police recovered a 9 mm handgun, that he said was possibly a replica, matching the description given by the Temple student. Leone also said that there was a possibility of a second suspect who was observed with the man on surveillance cameras walking on Carlisle Street near Diamond just before the initial robbery.

Temple issued a TU Advisory about the incident at 12:51 p.m.

Sean Carlin can be reached at sean.carlin@temple.edu or on Twitter @SeanCarlin84.