TSG encourages students to vote

Students were reminded to vote in tonight’s mayoral election during the Temple Student Government general assembly meeting Monday. In addition to the city election, TSG Vice President of Student Affairs Nadine Mompremier gave a brief

Students were reminded to vote in tonight’s mayoral election during the Temple Student Government general assembly meeting Monday.

In addition to the city election, TSG Vice President of Student Affairs Nadine Mompremier gave a brief timeline and breakdown for the 2008 general election. “The most importation election of our generation,” as Mompremier described it, will occur on November 4, 2008.

TSG will start a task force for that election to encourage students to register to vote. Students who are interested in joining the task force can contact Mompremier at tsgvpsa@temple.edu.

In addition to the presidential race, 34 U.S. Senate seats, 11 governor mansions and 435 congressional positions will be voted on in the next general election. After the meeting, Mompremier offered her opinion on the need for young people to vote.

“If we don’t vote now, where does that leave us eight years from now? With everything going on, the war, healthcare… it is extremely important,” she said.

The assault of a student in Anderson Hall last week was addressed by Capt. Eileen Bradley of Campus Safety Services. She said the 22-year-old female student will be leaving the hospital soon and that the case is nearly completed.

“We are working closely with the Philadelphia Police Department and will have closure very shortly,” Bradley said.

In hopes of preventing future violence in campus buildings, the Temple Police will make certain changes to their old routines. Among those changes includes a security person on the mezzanine of Anderson and Gladfelter halls from 6:30 a.m. until 10:30 p.m. while classes are in session and the addition of security “rovers” in certain buildings.

Students seeking a more hands-on approach to self-defense, could find it in the Hasbara Fellowships. A course on Krav Maga, the Israeli martial art of self-defense will be held on Wednesday, November 7th from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. in Student Center 217A.

Participants do not need to be Jewish or Israeli to participate, said Jesse Breitbart, a senior and TSG representative.

If personal safety seems to dark a topic, the brothers of Gamma Phi Sigma offer a musical escape. The 3rd annual Stroll contest will be held in Student Center 200 B/C on Friday, November 9th starting at 7:30 p.m.

“It’s kind of like stepping,” said Jam-el Vereen, a senior and Gamma Phi Sigma’s TSG representative. “It evolved from fraternity and sororities dancing at parties… but the moves have gotten really crazy.”

More music can be heard at Friday’s Battle of the Bands, hosted by WHIP, Temple’s student-run radio station. The event starts at 7 p.m. in the OwlCove, tickets cost $3 in advance and $5 at the door.

Furthermore, TSG will hold an open forum on Nov. 15 from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Student Center 200B. The general student population is invited to ask any question about TSG during the forum.

Myles Aion can be reached at Myles@Temple.edu