Vigil brings together family, friends for fallen officer

Loved ones gathered to remember Moses Walker Jr. Rewards have increased in the search for answers.

Family and friends solemnly gathered at Cecil B. Moore Avenue and Woodstock Street tonight, to mourn the loss of Philadelphia Police Department Officer Moses Walker Jr. who was shot and killed early Saturday, Aug. 18.

Moses Walker Jr. | Courtesy Philadelphia Police Department

Walker, 40, was found dead near the intersection, just west of 20th Street and blocks from Main Campus, before 6 a.m. He had recently ended a shift at the PPD’s 22nd District headquarters, at 17th Street and Montgomery Avenue.

City and police officials announced increased rewards for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the shooter earlier today. Rewards were listed at $35,000.

Crowding around the family for support were dozens of friends and neighbors who spoke highly of Walker’s accomplishments as a 19-year veteran of the department.

Anthony Walker, the officer’s brother, said: “All these cameras and this don’t mean nothing. My brothers gone and he’s never coming back.”

“Moses Walker Jr. was a dedicated family man and law enforcement officer for the Philadelphia Police Department,” said Kenya Boulware, Walker Jr.’s sister, delivering a family statement. “He’s dearly loved and will be dearly missed. We thank all those concerned for their prayers and their outpouring support for our family. We the family respectfully request that our right to privacy is honored in light of the tragedy we are currently enduring.”

The vigil closed with a prayer from Richard Dukes, the North Philadelphia captain of Men United for a Better Philadelphia. All who attended clasped hands for a brief moment of silence.

Kate McCann can be reached at kate.mccann@temple.edu.